Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air compressor help needed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 17, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, today I got around to looking at the compressor and reading the manual. It says for the start up/shut down procedure something about a service valve. You open it up after the tank is up to pressure, and you close it when your un hooking tools. When I looked on mine, it doesn't have that, all it has is a pressure adjuster switch. Will that close the tank so no air will go out with the knob closed? Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]

1=pressure knob
    2=pressure guage
    3=where in you hook up the hose to.

In the manual it shows a tap like shut off valve where the pressure knob is. Can I use that to shut off the air? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That looks like an IR compressor.
    On mine, the valve you are refering to is located on the side of the tank. (the yellow lever)
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice that that is where my filter, regulator & hose is connected to.
    The whole setup looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    One last pic of the area where you took:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe your model doesn't have that shut off lever?
    I have a small Crapsman compressor that does not have that. I just turn the regulator knob all the way down to let all the air out of the hose when I'm not using it for a short while. (usually, I would drain the tank if I'm not going to use it anymore during that day.
    Hope this helps.
    Boss

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You shouldn't need to turn any knobs when your disconnecting or connecting tools. That knob(1) determines how much pressure is sent through the hose, and yes when you close that knob, no air will leave the tank.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You shouldn't need to turn any knobs when your disconnecting or connecting tools. That knob(1) determines how much pressure is sent through the hose, and yes when you close that knob, no air will leave the tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I can get the knob turned to 0?

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yup, mine is an IR compressor.
    Is yours a floor mounted one? Mine has wheels so maybe that's why it's differnet. I didn't see anything on the sides /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Boss

I just edited my post after I looked at my smaller compressor (and when I realized the links didn't work)...

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Maybe yours needs one because its bigger. How many gallon tank is it? I will just use the pressure knob and see how it works.

8. Boss

yeah, mine is the floor mounted.
    That's probably it then.
    The knob will work fine with no probs. I never had an issue regarding that with my Craftsman A/C.

Oh, it' a 60 gal unit.
    Boss

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thats it, mine is only a 25 gallon, or 24, I can't remember /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Okay thanks for the help Boss, I am excited about hooking it up and trying it tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep. And don't forget to periodically drain the water out...I always forget that.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah, I made special note that I found where the drainer is in the bottom. I always forgot when we borrowed my dads friend's compressor to drain it. I am going to make a sign on it to remind me /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif