Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Compressor Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Aug 14, 2005.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I have a 7hp 60 gallon Craftsman Air Compressor in my garage. The last house I lived in didn't have a garage so the compressor sat in storage. It's been sitting for about a year and a half without being wired up.

I wired it up a few days ago and I got nothing. It calls for 240 volts and 20 amps... I already had a 30 amp breaker so I just used that, and I measured the voltage in the cutoff switch and it's getting 120 volts to each lead that runs to the motor.

So all indications lead to the motor being bad, right? But it's only 4 years old and I can't imagine that sitting in storage for a year and a half could in any way damage the motor, right???

Help!
    Scott

2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

if u think it is the motor, diconnect the power and test the leads phase to phase should be low but not 0-4ohm and not over ( didnt do the math so dont know off the top of my head) ummm 15ohms ish. also check phase to ground-should be over 1MOhm turn the pully by had before u try turning it on again- make shure its not frozen. is it OIL or teflon type pistons(oil-less). if its oil change it. prolly 30wt but check book if u have it to make shure. more ideas but let me know what u find. are u shure u are plugged in to 240? not 120? phase difference and phase to ground too

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Dont know what to say about the air compressor but I thought I'd say HEY! It's been awhile!