Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air compressor off a Detroit!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I can get one CHEAP. A guy that works at the shop has one at his house and said I could have it for 20 bux! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am a bit concerned about the size of it tho. He "hand measured" it out and seems like its about 12-18 inches tall. It needs a forced oil feed, which isnt a problem, I can grab a feed off the motor by the filter.

He told me the regulator is set at 150 PSI right now but will go higher if needed and will do so at a fairly low RPM.

Does anyone happen to know the CFM this compressor puts out and just how high will the PSI go. In other words will it require a tank or will it run air tools straight off it? I dont think Id tweak it at all and just leave it at the 150 its at now if not take it down maybe. Is this compressor rebuildable?

I was kinda afraid to ask many questions about it for fear hed change his mind. When I asked him what he would want for it I figured he would say 100-150, when he said 20 dollars I almost fell over and stopped talking! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Does anyone have any knowledge of these compressors? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

i was a detroit journeyman for a few years and i tried them, didnt work good at all, aside from the oil feed pain. good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Pure Insanity

What was the problem w/ them? I was really thinking this would be a good score. The way he described it it would be killer, he got it to mount to his home compressor, only thing that has stopped him was hooking up the oil feed.

For 20 bucks I may get it either way. Did it need to turn too tight (he said low RPM), was the CFM not up to it, just the shear size and weight of it? I have a body lift so I have some extra height underhood.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What kind of Detroit did it come off of?
    The CFM can vary from pump to pump, I take it it is driven by a pully? Like one on a school bus.
    You can set the govenor to go just about as high as you want, most air tanks have a 150psi pop off valve on them.
    I would keep it around 120-130 psi.

5. Pure Insanity

Im not sure what it came off of but the guy that has it used to work for an orange grove company, so it may be off one of the old semis or maybe the goats. They were school bus based, but I think they were GM powered. He said this one has a regulator on it and can be turned up more, which I wouldnt do. Down maybe, but not up.

Yes it is pulley driven, and can these be rebuilt? (just for future reference)

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If it is a Bendix compressor you should be able to get kits for them, the most we ever do to them is replace the unloaders, and sometimes replace a head gasget.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

get it and post the part #s
    do you have a diesel or FI engine?
    these things are set up to run constantly
    they use an unloader valve to dump to atmosphere rather then to the tank once set pressure is reached

8. Pure Insanity

OK so a kit is available, good. I assumed there was.

They dont have a clutch on them at all? Wouldnt it make a bunch of noise blowing off? Hey then I could say I have a turbo...... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If theres no clutch on it I could just make it an easy release for the belt and just put it on when I need it I guess. If your referring to MY motor I have a gas motor w/ a carb. So I guess you think I should get it? So far I have 1 no, 1 no definative answer, and 1 to get it.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

well with a carb motor(and you should really go diesel or FI but I cant talk as I am in similar boat) the load from the compressor will probably stall the engine when it kicks in.
    so much like an AC carb setup you would have to figure out a solenoid to kick the idle up to compensate for the added load,
    or get fancy and figure out how to glue an AC clutch to it.

diesels the pump idle gov will auto compensate for the load,
    FI motor the ECM will compensate for the added load.
    those guys get all the good benefits and we get nothing.

also I think in the origonal application the compressor gets it air from the intake manifold(getting a few free # boost from a turbo engine) and may dump back to it when unloaded.
    that doesnt seem correct to me as you would risk a runaway diesel as most compressors pump a bunch of oil past the rings after a few years

10. Pure Insanity

Id go diesel if I could score a Power Stroke or Dura Max. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

EFI isnt feasable for several reasons for me.

Figureing out a clutch is a main concern. Guess Id have to look at it to see if I could figure that out. Hooking up an A/C step up solenoid shouldnt be a problem tho, if needed. My motor already idles around 1200 to smooth out the lope of the cam some, so it "shouldnt" need too much step up. I could route the dump into the air filter base to give it somewhere to go I guess.

Looks like Ill need to take an up close look at this to see if I can make this work.

I also have a pump from an air ride suspension that Im playing w/. Its from a Lincoln Continental. I did a non air ride conversion on it and had the pump laying around, so all its costing me is some time, and Ive almost got it ready to try to see what kind of pressure it puts out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I havent got a CLUE what they put out. They originally come out 4 lines, I have it almost done to make it a single line outlet. , after disassmbling the tank and cleaning out all the soaked out desicant and filters. We'll see how that turns out. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Even if all I can do is air up w/ this, Ill be happy w/ it.

If all else fails....YORK! I just like trying something different. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Yes they unload through the intake, On that type of compressor the intake will be on the side with an air filter. if the filter is soaked in oil the pump is shot.
    The others are plumbed into the intake.
    I have never heard of an engine run away from a bad compressor.
    When unlaoded there is no pressure, once it is pumping again the oil goes out the discharge pipe and fills up the wet tank and air dryer.
    Personaly I would not want one for what we use them for.
    You can get York comressors for $20. and they don't seem to bad to install. And they do not run constantly like that Bendix one.
    I have a brand new one that I want to get installed some day.