Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air compressor oil-lubed or oil-free?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wazzabie, Nov 26, 2005.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was about to go and get one of those oil-free air compressors that Sears has all the time on sale. I could really use an impact gun and I'm sure other air tools would be usefull also. So some research lead me to the forum thread below. Should I go with a cheap oil-lubed air compresssor from say craigslist? Will this be better then the oil-free 33 gal compressor from sears?

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49374

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just so ya know, the oil-less are loud as he!!... mines screams like a banshee... cheap air tho...

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea, mine is loud as hell also. but it works great and is cheap.

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I will third that. I have a craftsman 5hp 30 gal and while it is about enough power output for what I do it rocks the hole house when it kicks on. I am upgrading to a oil lubed unit this year. Probably a Huskey 6hp 60gal upright :D

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I got one of those oil-less ones from Sears ... I've rebuilt it twice, as the cylinder keeps sucking metal dust or something up and scratching the cylinder and blowing the ring. Which, yeah, is my fault, but dammit, it's supposed to be a SHOP compressor.

And it is noisier than all hell, so I wear the ear-protector-muffs things ALL the time when I'm using. I'm not impressed.

-- A

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a husky oil-less and once again, cheap and it works but I can't work past 10 with the garage door open for fear of pissing off the neighbors. It's LOUD.

7. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I will reitterate that the airless comps are LOUD! I mean obnoxiously loud. I will gladly pay extra for a quiet oil lubed compressor.

8. wazzabie

I also would like to do some painting with this air compressor. My take would be that the oil free is better since you would get no oil in the paint. Do the air oil seperators work well enough to get the oil out for painting in the oil-lubed?

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i don't think the oiled compressors have any oil going threw the cylinder, just the crankcase. my oilless has a sealed bearing at the end of the rod. it shouldn't have anymore oil/fluid going threw it than anyother compressor.
    you should get a filter/water seperator though if your going to be painting.

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

moisture is more the issue for painting usually.. you can get away with a disposable inline seperator at the gun.. we use the round plastic ones available at parts stores and body supply shops... about $6 a pop...

i've sprayed dozens of cars with my oil-less unit at home..

11. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

An airless air compressor? :doah:

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my craftsman is oiless and loud. also not meant for constant duty. for round th ehouse and tem or short shop use get oil less.
    anything else get an oil fed machine and invest in a GOOD oil remover and air drier for the output side
    Grant

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Would you run an oil-less engine in your rig? How about an oil-less transmission? Transfer case? Axle? :screwy:

Telfon doesn't last too long on my frying pans either. :rolleyes:

Oh, with the oiled-type... start with a 240V model... twice the air at only 15-20% more cost.

14. fordfreak300

fordfreak300 Registered Member

Another good idea is to keep checking your local paper. You can find air compressors for sale lots of times. You might save yoru self some money. Get a compressor that uses oil. It will last much longer if you use it a lot. Especially if your going to use a grinder or cut off wheel for any length of time. I can fire my air compressor up at night with my garage closed and no one hears it, not even my wife sleeping in the house. That fact alone makes it worth the extra money.

15. wazzabie

Is it possible to run a 230v on 120v line?

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I've got a 115V 26 gallon oil lubed compressor that's portable and a homemade 60 gallon 230V oil lubed compressor in my shop. Oiled is the only way to go. I've never seen a dry compressor last any significant amount of time and the duty cycle leaves a lot to be desired. Buy a decent compressor, take care of it with yearly oil and filter changes, and never worry about it again.

17. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i have both a craftsman 5hp 33 gallon oil less and a 80 gallon 12hp ingersoll-rand oil lubed , they both make about the same amount of noise but the craftsman does run out of air at times when using a cutoff wheel or air gun for long periods of time. the only reason i got the little one is it takes 3-4 guys to move the 80 gallon not real practical for some of my projects.

18. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

NO!!!! That's why it's called 230 volt not 120. :D :D :D :D :D

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

BIG vs small..

I have 3 air compressors..one is a "Coleman" 4hp "oiless" with an 11 gallon tank..loud as hell,and runs constantly..great for filling a tire up if its all the way across the yard..rolls on 2 wheels..I wouldn't use it for much more than a few minites at a time..it was a gift--good thing,I'd be pissed if I'd paid 200 bucks for it!.. :rolleyes:

Another one I bought at a yard sale for 100 bucks..60 gallon horizontal tank,and a small 2 cyl.air pump,single stage"Speed Air" oil lubed pump..1-1/2 HP motor..slow to build up pressure,stops at 110 psi,but is fairly quiet,and runs at 1725 rpm,not 3450 like many 5 hp ones that are noisy..I've painted vehicles with it..it runs a lot,but will keep up with most tools except a DA sander or board file,and my sandblaster..

Best one I cant use here!..its a 7-1/2 HP 3 phase 80 gallon tanked monster with a huge 2 cyl.two stage pump with a 6-3/4" and 3-3/8" piston,it puts out about 50CFM!..you can run 4 DA's or a sandblaster or whatever else you want,and it will keep up with NO problem..this one came from a car dealership,was used only to run the in-ground lifts,and had low hours on it..they used 15HP rotary screw air compressors for the body shop! :eek1: --but I'm selling it because I have no 3 phase current,no money for "phase converters" or the electricity either.. :(

My next compressor will be a gas powered one,preferably a tow behind your truck style,or at least a 10 HP engine with wheels..my late friend had a nice one,a wisconsin 4 cylinder motor that used 2 cylinders as the air pump..missed out on that one..also saw an industrial one that had a 231 Buick V-6 with special heads set up the same way--it was for sale for 200 bucks at a junkyard--needed a motor--good used 231 included..too much for me at the moment.. :(

Even a small one with a honda or briggs motor would be a lot handier for me,I could paint my sheds and fill flat tires out in my yard easier..I wouldn't buy ANY compressor that puts out less than 8-10 CFM--anything less is too small for a sandblaster or big DA sander,or Impact guns,and will run too often and too long painting cars,and wont last too long..and NO more "oiless" ones :rolleyes: .. :crazy:

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A more important "?" is CFM@90PSI. But if I were buying one it would be a normal (oiled) one. Luckily I have back room I can stick it in to cut down on the noise. My oilless seems to get hotter than my neighbor's normal one, this means more condensation in the tank.