Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air compressor power Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jul 21, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have a 5 or 6 HP 30 gallon craftsman compressor, and at my new house, i've tried 2 plugs, and one blew a braker switch, and the other would have done the same thing if i didnt have a surge protector box there, the plugs were in 2 totally different areas of the house..

but there is hope, right near where i work on the truck, there is one of these
    [​IMG]

i opened it once, and replaced that with a normal looking 220 outlet once but it smelled like electrical smoke so i quickly took it out, anyway can anyone help me and give me an idea so i dont have to spend 250 for an electrician to come out and to it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

is the compressor a 220v? if so and you want to make that plug work, open it back up, the hafe round id ground, this should be green or bare, then the other 3 should be; red, black and white on you 220v outlet conect the ground to the half round and the red and black to the other two.

that is a 220v set up, if its a 120v that you want to hook up so it dosent blow a braker, use the white and the black OR red. since this type of circit is on a higher amp circit it wont blow as easy.

hope it helps let me know /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It looks like you've used the wrong NEMA plug configuration..

That one is for 3 phase...you need one for single phase..
    I pulled my Craftman compressor..I may still have a outlet..
    I can check...and get some good part numbers..

You can call Sears service...to find-out what NEMA configuration they are using..

4. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

That is not 3 phase! It looks to be a NEMA 14-50R, 50 amp 120/240v 3 pole, 4 wire grounded. This plug is used to supply both 120 and 240 to an appliance, tyipically a cloths dryer or and oven. It can be swapped out for a straight 220v recepticle which matches your compressor if it is 220.

James

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks for the help everyone, i took the advice and went to a hardware store and got what i needed. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif