Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Compressor Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ARAMP1, Oct 30, 2005.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Seeing as how that sucker probably draws about 20A, it had better be the only thing on the circuit...

If you must use a plug on it, I'd recommend using a dryer plug and receptacle.

3. ARAMP1

Please excuse my ignorance, but what other types of 240 plugs are there besides dryer type plugs?

The reason I dont' want it hard wired is because I'm in the Air Force and when I PCS, it want to be able to unplug it and take it with me fairly easily.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, you may install a plug on the cord and use whatever amperage breaker is required and make sure it is the only thing on the circuit, but i believe that ALL 240 circuits are on their on breaker. Just remember you should never use a breaker any larger than required for the purpose otherwise if there is an overload the breaker would not turn off.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

voltage drop...

The reason they say to hard wire it only is probably because they don't want someone putting a 50-100 ft cord and a plug on it,because the voltage drop you'll get from doing that will cause the motor to overheat and fail...

I don't see why you cant use a plug and an outlet,as long as they are rated for more amps than the thing will draw..(like using a 30 amp plug and outlet for a dryer,or a 50 amp for an electric stove as suggested)--as long as you dont extend the wire from the motor too far,and use at least 10ga wire...I'd say 5-10' at most..but I'm no electrician either,so don't take my advice as gospel!.. :rolleyes:

My 4 HP Coleman "Portable" air compressor sucks--the only thing that makes it "portable" is the fact it has wheels,and a handle!--its 110V,but the cord is as thick as my thumb,and only 5' long!--and it says in big letters "USE NO EXTENTION CORDS!!" so I have to wheel it to and from an outlet every 2 minites when I'm filling tires,etc--either that or I have to buy 100 more feet of air hose,and roll it up every time- :mad: --and if anything else is on the curcuit,it has to be off,or the breaker will trip! :doah: ..its a real PITA!...I want a compressor with a gas motor on it I can wheel right to the job..screw electric ones!.. :haha:

6. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    similar one of those at harbor freight that is belt driven for 349.

7. ARAMP1

8. gauder

gauder Banned

It only takes a few minutes to undo it if you hardwire it.

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

They rate the motor for a 15 amp circuit. So I don't see any problem using a dryer (30amp) or stove (40amp) plugs. Home Depot has plugs and some decent 10/4 rubber encased wire that will make a good cord.