Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air compressor stupidity

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Okay, maybe I'm an idiot, but I got the attachment thing to inflate my tires with my air compressor. I cranked the tank up to 90 PSI or something, but when I stick it on the tire it just sits there, no inflation action. What could I be doing wrong?

[rant]
    This compressor is a Craftsman, and I'm using their idiotic fast fitting things where you can just push them in without having to pull back the collar. Thing is, the damn things like to just pop out all by themselves and then stay open. It scares the $#^% out of me and my ears ring for 5 minutes. I wish I just had the regular old fittings that actually worked.
    [/rant]

2. wolfy87

wolfy87 Registered Member

Try depressing the valve on the air chuck with your thumbnail to see if it functions and lets air out, then the same with your valve stem. If both work it should work unless your valve stem is mangled or pushed over to the side so that it is not mating up with the air chuck.

As for the hose coupling popping off, spewing air and scaring the $#!t out of you..... LOL /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. justpushplay

justpushplay Registered Member

I have the same problem with mine. Stopped at the local Tire Man, made all the jokes about summer air vs winter air before he could and asked him to take a look. I had used 2 different gauges to check pressure, both read 25 lbs. Tire guy says, no you have 34 lbs in each. Asked him to bring them up just to see. He got them to 40 lbs no problem. Makes no sense to me....

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wonder if having the compressor/tank at 90psi was the problem. Is it possible that the high pressure makes it so that the valve center pin thing doesn't have enough force to press it in? Maybe setting the compressor to 40 or something would work better, I dunno. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

If all else fails, I'll get the kind with the lever to open the air. It'll cost more, but they normally have a built in pressure guage, which would be handy.

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Is it a cheap attachemnt to air up tires? Mine often doesn't do anything, and you have to move it around and giggle it til u hear the air rushing in. Kinda a pain, gotta get a better one.