Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air compressor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Nov 30, 2005.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Going to buy a compressor for Christmas. What brands are recomended and what to stay away from. Any specs to look for. Needs to be 110v. Just needs to be a multipurpose garage compressor.

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

4. dubbyx

dubbyx Registered Member

if you're doing any kind of spraying, the bigger the tank, the better...

as far as everything else goes, it's pretty much a crap shoot on compressors. my shop compressor is an older Speedaire 80 gallon, 10 hp, 220v rig, then I've got my converted craftsman 30gallon with a Speedaire dual stage, dual voltage pump on top, and for little stuff I've got a Bostitch 6 gallon pancake...

if I was going to get a new one, I'd look at some of the Rol-Aire's pretty closely, and stay away from anything "new" that has the "Emglo" name on it.

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Is SCFM Delivery At 90 psi 5.7 SCFM going to be enough for the tools you want to use?

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I really think you'd be happier in the long run by getting something with plenty of capacity . I have a 6.8CFM 30 Gal Craftsman and it cannot keep up with spray painting. I also did a spray in bed liner (which uses a big orifice) and had to wait for the compressor to catch up every 20-30 seconds. Using an air sander , cut-off wheels, and die grinders are also too much for this compressor. The air motors slow down quickly as the pressure drops and ya gotta stop and wait. I know they can be expensive, but if I had to do it again I'd bite the bullet and get a 10CFM+ model. 15cfm would be perfect. ;)

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

8. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

I have the 110 volt craftsman 6 hp horizontal compressor. 40 gallon ish. Its got 150 psi max output, but for my needs its not great.

The motor is always screaming. It will only run air sanders for 4-5 minutes before building up pressure again. Even then not at full speed.

Actually the motor is not bad, its the single stage oil free compressor that limits it. Little tiny thing that works at high rpm. No real piston displacement for pumping lots of air.

I have painted with it, its not bad, but it runs out of air about as fast as my paint cup uses paint. I guess that's reasonable.

I use it for the plasma cutter, again it works, but its loud and running as hard as it can to keep up with the millers air requirements. Again air supply needs to be built back up ever few minutes. and the motor is so loud all the time.

Good news I have had it for 2 years and while its use is intermittent, I do work it very hard for 5-6 hours at a time. Has not burned up yet.

For my needs a 220 volt multi stage with big pistons would be better. If santa(master card) wants to give me one I think lowes and sears both have one that can handle 10-12 CFM at 80psi and about 50 gallon tanks for under $500

You have to figure out what will fit your needs best, but my suggestion is bigger is better if you can afford it.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Stay away from single stage. Stay away from oil-less.

10. dubbyx

dubbyx Registered Member

I'll second that... you'll pay more for a compressor with oil probably, and you have to change it regularly... but it'll last forever...

my grandad bought a compressor back in the late '50s for use at his service station... when he passed a couple years ago the thing was still running strong... I can only hope the ones I have last another 5 years or so...

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

X3 if you want to do the painting then I wouldn't be getting the ones you are looking at. If you just want to run basic air tools the Craftsmen would work great. I have the vertical 30gal like you listed and use it at the car audio shop all day everyday and it has been working great for 2 years. It will not keep up with painting much more then a motorcycle and even then I have to watch my airguns pressure closely and take breaks between each part.

12. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd stay away from Craftsman compressors...

I had one for 5 years...it was 6 HP with a 33 gallon tank.
    It cost me about $250 to keep it going...painting, DAing, sandblasting
    took it's toll on it. I finally retired it when I thru 2 rods.

They're noisy too.

I now have a Home Depot 7 HP cast iron head 2 stage...the thing rocks.
    I think the 5 HP is going for $399.

120V compressors generally don't work well for painting...also they run-up electric bills.

I had a 2HP speed air for my first compressor...I'd spray a panel at a time..
    let the compressor build back-up...then spray the next panel.
    God...I don't miss those days. :doah: