Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air compressor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Oct 29, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I think i saw someone on here say you could make an on board air compressor out of an old ac compressor. does anybody know how i could do this? i did a search but it came up screwy. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks
    69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    nathan /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    here's mine

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

it should basically be the same way with a chevrolet compressor. I am gonna my spare that came off of a 75 K5 blazer. Can i leave it hooked up beltwise as long as i have switch for the clutch. im just trying to save gas and horses.

thanks

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Only thing that is wrong with using a regular Chevy compressor is that it does not have an oil reservoir, so you have to lube it or it will seize. You might be able to run an oiler on the intake, and a oil coelescing filter on the air outlet, but I'm not even sure if this will keep enough oil in it to keep it going. </font color>

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

im nbot sure what those parts were , but i understand the concept. i will look around and see if i can find a york before i start this project.

thanks

nathan

7. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

im right in the middle of the very same install. i got my york pump from the junkyard for $35. so far the only triky part has been geting the home made braket to hold the pulley in the right place and at the right angle. but im pretty sure it will be worth it. if you go to the junkyard take somthing to scrape scum off the pumps. my finger nail was really sore after i used it to clean greese off of the serial # plates. good luck!!

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ducttape

i am gonna use my stock compressor from the ac. i like it because its smaller.I did some looking and searches. i
    found some on jeeps and broncos. they used theirs and explained pretty much how to do it. i will keep everyonegood luck with yours

nathan updated.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

So when are you going to figure out how to hang a york on mine and still retain the factory pump for my A/C ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have become a candy a$$ in my old age. My systems still has freon in it and I just sorted out the electrical problem. $30 bucks for a Clutch and a can of freon to top it off and I'm ready to go. Ohhh yeah I want to run twin alternators too. Wouldn't want to get soft on ya and make it easy. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    A/C

[/ QUOTE ]
    what is this A/C you speak of /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oh wait i know what yer talkin about it's the knob on the dash of my NEW TOW RIG that make it blow cold air.

11. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Grim, sounds like you need to get a little pony motor for the back to start running some of your accessories. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

oh. thats cool. let me know how it works.
    ducttape

13. Grim-Reaper

I'm thinking of running the york off the PTO. That way I can mount it under the bed and out of the way.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

grim reaper,

I am gonna use the factory ac that came with the motor. no new brackets. I looked on the web and came across this website.
    http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tonyc/jeep1/OBAIR3.html

yall check this out. i am gonna rig up or find a oil seperator that will drain stright back over into the oiler place. the only part that i do not understand is the manifolds. what are those? also shouldnt the popoff valve be in the tank itself? when i get mine done i'll figur out how you can add one to yours.

69K5
    nathan

15. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

The manifolds just make one 'outlet' into many 'outlets' (or 'inlets' also in this case) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

16. Grim-Reaper

They don't last. Depdog has gone through several and is converting over to a york. Becides my AC is fixable /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks

18. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the pto idea mighht work. i t would take wsome famcy rigging. i think i might have a york. i redid a vw bug along time ago and the compressor off of it looked a lot like the yorks. i just have to remember what i did with it to see.

nathan

19. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i don't know about where you are but here in atlanta yorks a $17 at our local pull-a-part, sh!t they parcticaly grow on trees. any of your local yards should have a late 70-early 80's volvo in there yard.

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

These are some of the links I have found when looking for info on OBA (On Board Air). I have most of the components to put my system together...now I just have to make a mount for it.
    I have so far:
    2 York #210's (one from a volvo and one from a 73 chevy complete with mount )
    Air pressure switch
    5 into 1 manifold from the last link below
    Air tank from a semi
    and a bunch of fittings and other stuff.

It does not matter where you put the pop off valve but most people put them on the tank. Make sure you have a drain for the tank to let the moisture out.

http://www.geocities.com/spencerhut/truck/air.htm

http://www.jeeptech.com/body/york/

http://www.onboardair.com/

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/york_tj/part1/index.htm

http://www.sunperformance.com

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&amp;catalogId=4006970&amp;langId=-1&amp;PHOTOS=on&amp;KEYWORDS=manifold