Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Compressors compar?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Apr 21, 2001.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I want to get an air compressor and was looking at two that I liked and thot I would ask some one that had more expreince than me

one ot the two was

a Porter Cable 7.0 hp 60 Gal 9.7 SCFM for 399.00

and the other was

a Campbell Hausfeld 6.5 hp 60 Gal 10.3 SCFM for 376.00

I want it for use with air tool so witch one do yall thank is a better buy or better compressors

thanks

[​IMG]If you want to run cool
    you got to run on Heavy Heavy Fuel (106.1 RDU)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

personally I have and ingersol rand compressor, but it's probably over kill for what you're going to use it for! Between those two, I would tend to go for the Porter Cable, They tend to put out a much stronger item then Camble Haus. Technically, Cambell makes some other people's compressors for them and Porter might be one, but I'm not sure. If Cambells really puts out that much CFM and you're comparing them at the same PSI (this is key) then you want to go with the one that has a higher scfm. That is what counts when driving air tools! Porter Cable makes construction quality tools while Cambell Haus usually makes home owner quality tools. But again, Cambell makes a lot of compressors for a lot of people, I'd look further into who makes the Porter cable and if it's Cambelll, go with the cambell, Higher SCFM! And soo on.
    Anyways, I thionk you get the jist of what I'm saying, sorry it's repetetive, I'm tired!

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you don't get an oil free compressor. They're a little bit cheaper, but they are extremely loud in comparison. I have a Porter-Cable and haven't had any problems at all. I've thed the Campbell Hausfelds as well and think they are of good quality too. I think that features and price should be the deciding factors between these two.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

James

I can tell you not to go with a oil free compresor, I had one and abused the snoot out of it, resleaved/reringed it several times, It eventualy shot a rod out the side of it. A air compressor spinning at 2 grand, and then shooting a rod out, tends to scatter parts everywhere! (I used alot of grinders and body shop tools, it was just to much for the poor thing.)

I ended up getting a Campbell Hausfeld 7 H.P., 4-cyl "quad", single stage, 60 gal tank. I also plumed that sucker into my old 60 gal tank, so now it has 120 gallons at 125 p.s.i.. This thing ROCKS. Clicks on, runs for 1 min. clicks off. No problem! It'll hang with my buddys 2 stage 80 gal high doller unit. Just doesn't have the p.s.i. of his 2-stage. Just had to brag a little.
    I'am very happy with Cambells compressors, I've used a few of thier smaller single cyl units and have no complaints.

Soo, in a nut shell. I'd go with the Cambells air compressors.

And if you plan on useing it for body shop type of tools, get the biggest one you can, two-stage P.S.I. or more gallons. If you just plan on running impacts, a 60 gallon single-stage will work just fine.

As far as air tools, First get a GOOD 3/8 gun, then a streight or angled die-grinder, (I use these tools all the time) then a mid-grade 1/2 gun for running the big nuts and bolts, 3/8 air ratchets are good too, but the 3/8 gun has more power. I hardly ever use my 3/8 ratchet, only when the gun won't fit.

I know this is more than what you asked for. I just couldn't stop typing, I need the practice!

Twiztid

5. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

thanks guys

that info helps a lot I am most likely going to get the Campell hausfeld

but I might save up a little more money and get an 80 gal insted of the 60 gal

[​IMG]If you want to run cool
    you got to run on Heavy Heavy Fuel (106.1 RDU)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>