Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AIR COMPRESSORS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 14, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the Campbell Hausfeld air compressors because they seem to be pretty decent in price and I think they are pretty good(not sure) but then i started looking at the MAX PSI and it said 125-135 dosent that seem low i was thinking it should be around 160-180 am I wrong? Also whats a good compressor for the price?

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes.....they are a good brand!

Most HOME compressors only provide a high of 135 lbs of air because of AMP draw....

When selecting a compressor.....first find out how much power you have to work with......it is very important.....you can BURN-UP a MOTOR!!!!

I only have a 30 amp circuit in my garage.....I've been looking at compressors myself!! MAN I WISH I HAD A 60 AMP BREAKER!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well the one im look at is only 125psi is that gonna be enough? Now im used to the ones at the 4x4 shop

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The real magic number to be looking at is the SCFM's The larger the number @ 90 PSI or so the better. As said before, you need to make sure you have a large enough service panel to accomodate the compressor's requirements of amperage.

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well whats the magic # @ 90 psi?
    atlest what a good number? 10 alright?

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

or even 5.5???

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anything above 12 is good, 14 is even better.

8. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

125-135 PSI is fine. Uually only 2 stage compressors reach up past 160 PSI. I prefer an oil type compressor with cast iron cylinders. It'll have a larger duty cycle than an oil less design. There's nothing wrong with an oil less compressor, its just that they don't last as long. You should get at least a 25 gallon tank or preferably a 60 gallon. It really boils down to what you're using the compressor for, the frequency of use, and how much you're willing to spend. I have a small Husky air compressor from Home Depot and it works fine for me. Its a twin-cylinder single stage oil design with a 26 gallon tank and 5 HP motor. Its rated at 5.8 SCFM @ 90 psi and it runs all of my air tools OK (1/2" impact wrench, 3/8" air ratchet, 1/4" die-grinder, and high speed air body saw), plus it has a 100% duty-cycle, which means its rated for continuous use. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It draws 30 amps @ 110 volts, but I wired it up to 220 volts so it uses half the current (15 amps).

I do wish it had a larger tank sometimes, but the price was right 'cause it was on closeout at the Depot for $260. It just depends on your needs as to what you should get. My air compressor is pretty much a clone of a Campbell-Hausfield model I've seen at a lot of other places. By the way, 12-14 SCFM @ 90 PSI is a super great rating, but its usually found on really large shop compressors, which = mega $$$$. I'd really like to have a large 2 stage compressor with about an 80 gallon tank, but its way more than I can afford. Hope this helps.

Will

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You wish you had a 60 amp? Put one in. I just bought a new compressor, welder, and tube bender. I have to do a little wiring to make it all work but it's not that hard. I am going to pull my 30 amp dryer braker out and put a 60 amp in it's place. Run the 60 amp into a small panel box with 3 30 amp brakers. 1 for the welder, one for the compressor, and 1 for the dryer. The only thing to remember is not to run all three at once.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I bought my IR 30gallon used for $70. It's rated 9.6 at 90PSI.

11. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone heard of Lotus brand compressors? I just picked up one for $65. The only problem is I know nothing about the compressor itself. It is a belt driven oil lubricated 23 gallon model. Looks like it could be 5+ years old.

The guy needed money quick, and by the looks of him I might know why! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Chris