Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air condition removal question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 chevy with air condition. Well it doesnt work and i dont want to fix it. So i want to remove the part that comes out of the cab into the engine compartment. At first i was thinkin i could just take it off and put a piece of steel or aluminum over it. But then i started to wonder if the heater core or anything else that was needed is inside of that. Just wonder if anyone knows if it will be a problem to remove the part that comes from the cab into the engine bay??? Thanks

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes the heater core is in there but if you want it out you can by-pass the heater core with no problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

But if i do that i wont have heat correct. Is it possible for me to move the heater core?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

no you would have no heat then /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm sure you could move it but it would take a lot of modifications to do so and in my opinion wouldn't be worth it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

When its 20 degrees out or colder i think it would be very WORTH it. lol /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

All you need to do is go to the Junkyard and find a truck without factory air and get the blower box controls and wires. Then all you need to do is make a plate where the Evap core was. Also you have to make two holes in the plate for the heater core tubes. This way you will have heat. DO a search on this and someone here shows pics of the plate and other stuff.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

7. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">I just did the same thing with my 90...What I did was remove the ac core disconnected the lines...As for the the heater core, what I did was took the fan housing and cut it in half where the ac core was, then I made a fabricated box from aluminum which is only about five inches deep and connected it to the fan housing and siliconed and and bolted it up...It leaves alot more room under the hood and still able to use the heater core and fan together...Now I am in the process of bolting up the york compressor in the spot of the ac compressor... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

T </font>