Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Conditioning Prob

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DeesleK5, Apr 12, 2001.

1. DeesleK5

DeesleK5 Registered Member

Seeing that it is coming up on summer and those of us that live in Hot climates, ie - dallas might need some help with the AC. I got my truck back from the shop a few weeks ago, was in getting frame work, and when i got it back the AC was only blowing luke cold air, basically blowing air, not cold. As i drove though the air coming out of the vents seemed to get warmer, not good, so i turned it off and rolled the windows down. So i figure the fan is working but something else is wrong, any suggestions would be gladly taken

Will

2. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

Mine basicly did the same thing. One day was working great, then the next morning nothing. It turned out to be the compressor and the condenser blew a seal. I was lucky, my brother in law is a GM mechanic and owns his own shop, and he replaced everything and upgraded the freon to the new stuff for under $800.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing at the end of last summer. Im fixing it now. It turned out to be that a hose sprung a leak, let out all my freon, and so the compressor wouldn't come on (it has a saftey sensor in the system). See if your compressor is comming on or not and check back.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

4. BlazerCol

BlazerCol Registered Member

Roll your windows down and stick your elbow out the window as far as you can, its free.

BlazerCol
    88 K5
    Ford Sucks

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Funny, I just got the AC working today. Did a upgrade to R134A. Total cost was right at $500 and we are expecting 30's next week. A leak in the system, old hoses, a noncondensable in the system, worn out compressor, you name it can cause your symptoms. Best bet is to either get a set of gauges and do a low side and high side pressure check or take it to a shop and have them run a check on the system. Check the fan belt and see if it's worn. Check all the connections and see if there is any signs of a leak (some oily residue at the connections). Other than that, not much you can repair on the system today with all the EPA regulations in place. The cost to retrofit a system here in OKC is around $350 and that is just a simple purge, flush, change o-rings, vacuum down and refill with 134. This is a short term fix as the entire system will fail generally in about the first year (depending on the age of the components). Sad part is I have the EPA certification and still took it to someone else to service the freon. ($150).

6. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Low on freon take somewere to have leak checked. Would guess that a hose is bad.

7. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

what dose r-12 and r134a cost anyways? (I have an uncle who is certified and want to know what he can buy it for)

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

8. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

134 is cheap r12 is exspensive. Should find leak first.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

r-134a is about $3-5 and r-12 is around $70-80 per pound, I think you need somewhere around 5 pounds to fill the system

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

10. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

In OKC, r-134 is $16 per pound and r-12 is $45 per pound.

11. DeesleK5

DeesleK5 Registered Member

I will try to check it this weekend, first i will look for a leek and then go from there and check the freon level, we will see, i will let you guys know

Will