Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Conditioning Recharge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tsquared275, May 10, 2006.

1. tsquared275

tsquared275 Registered Member

I have an 84 blazer with a stock air conditioning system, and the compressor keeps clicking on and off, so i decided to recharge it with some freeon in the garage (used on a 95 chevy 1 ton). But, the attachment that goes onto the accumulator (or reciever dryer or whatever its called) to recharge it is to big, and there is only one kind of recharge at the auto store, so do i have to convert my whole a/c system, or is there just some sort of attachment i have to buy? Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you need to be a retrofit kit. Your 84 is an R-12 system. A 95 would be a R-134a system. Different refrigerant(more enviromentally friendly, crappier) and different fittings. Conversion kits come with fittings that will adapt your fittings to newer machines/cans. However, you must fully evacuate your system of R-12(please don't just spray it out into the air), and pull a vacuum on the system to get the old oil out of it. Then inject new R-134a acceptable oil in and then charge with 134a. 134a is sort of junk compared to R-12. R-12 blows colder and is simply better, but it is not enviromentally friendly, expensive to buy(very much so), and you need technically need to be certified to buy it.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

R-12 is expensive now, but you may not need alot of it, i'd just find someone/place to "top it off" with freon, instead of breaking down a system to do this conversion..Obviously it still has some freon in it, so it may not have a very severe leak, if it does at all, may just be seals and whatnot from being as old as it is.