Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air conditioning unit removal. but retain heater

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Feb 7, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

if i un bolted the big air conditioning whatchamadingy from the passanger side fire wall, how would i go about keeping my heater functional?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ttt for the after work night crowd

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Just ignore me for the most part, but I THINK you need to find a truck heater box that was orignally equipped without A/C.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you might try a search, there have been a couple of threads on this topic recently. Personally, I pulled all the bolts and studs off both the AC and heat boxes and am still trying to figure out how to get them out... something in the middle of 'em seems to be holding everything together. If I can't figure it out soon, the BFH and crowbar might come out...

j

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i searched, but it returned minimal results, i know its been covered, but its one of those things you just dont click on unless you need to know what their talking about or you can help, and I was neither, lol now i wish i had. Anyway steve sounds right from what i seem to remember reading. Thanks guys

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The inner and outer housings that sandwich the firewall are a matched pair. You cannot ditch one and keep the other. You need to either just disconnect the AC and leave the housings, or find a donor truck and swap in all the pieces from a non-ac vehicle. Oh, by the way, if you do switch you'll be patching the firewall in one place and cutting a huge hole in another because the air flow inlet (like 4"x6") from outer to inner box is a different location, as well as the heater core inlet/outlets.

7. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Find a doner vehicle and swap the parts its not all the bad did it on a burb I once had. If you switch from A/C to non you do have to make a plate for the firewall cause they are way different. You need the heater core and everything from the doner vehicle, the switches might not work either so get the ones from the doner. Good luck

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I've got the setup your looking for.:p:

Pm me and we can talk more about it.:D

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been going through this recently with my AC 87. I believe you just need to modify a non-AC blower box to fit over the hole on an AC truck. The diverter thing shouldn't matter. I'll crawl out to my non-AC 73 later today and see what the hole looks like. I plan on putting its blower box over the hole in my 87. The difference looks like about 5".

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dont forget firewalls are different too

good luck

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey I was right for once!!