Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Conditioning

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tonka, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

Its about time to turn on the A/C in Texas. Problem is is quit working, probably has leaked the refrigerant out. Instead of working on the old system, I'm thinking of updating it. At car shows, I see alot of older vehicles set up with a newer style compressor that is very small. I've talked to a few of them and they say the smaller ones run more efficiently and cool just as well. Have any of you done this? Is this compressor designed for the new type refrigerant? What else is involved besides figuring out how to mount the thing? I want to say the compressor is called Sanderson, Anderson, Sanders or something to that effect but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. BIgJon

BIgJon Registered Member

One of the main distributors for aftermarket A/C is Vintage Air. (vintageair.com) I do not remember the cost, but their system runs on the new coolent. They told me their kit was completely independent from the original AC and most it mounts under the dash. They could not tell me if it was possible to route the lines for the compressor through the original A/C box or not.. The other choice is to remove the box and weld up the firewall.. Which might look pretty cool.. but would be a lot of work.. Has anyone done this yet???? If I am the first to attempt it (later this year) I will be sure to post the results.

3. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

My brother retrofitted his old A/C to the newer freon, and all it took was the new compressor, new O-rings in the lines, and having the system flushed and then charged with the new freon. It still uses all the other original parts.

4. BIgJon

BIgJon Registered Member

In case anyone is interested, the A/C kit from Vintage Air is $1095.00 It is a lot of money, but my system needs a new compressor, condenser, evaporator and lines.. So I would rather go with the new technology versus the thirty year old design...

5. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I got a R-134a Retrofit and charging kit from K Mart for $30.00. No parts to put in, Just charge port adapters. For pre 76 systems you also need the high side adapter (just a fitting). You can get the R-134 any where if you need a charge. You can also get leak detector,that shows the leaks with a colored oil. You may just have a loose hose or fitting. I have changed over two of my other vehicles, my JIMMY is next.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking of doing an R134 system, but haven't decided on it yet over R12. One of the things I have read is that you need to change out all of the O-rings and the compressor oil. I've also read that you must run higher head pressures, so it is advisable to change the receiver/drier.

7. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

The kit I got had an o-ring conditioner that goes in with the first charge along with the compressor oil and R134a. As far as pressure I haven't had problems. It blows cold and you can get R134 at the parts store, that was my incentive.