Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air conditioning

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotchevys?, Aug 21, 2005.

1. gotchevys?

gotchevys? Registered Member

Does anybody know what it takes to convert the R-12 air conditioning system in my 89 suburban to use 134a refridgerant?

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

might try posting this in one of the tech areas, the gen spesific forum or the gerage, more likely to get a responce.

and as for the ac i think it would need a new evaporator, but i dont know for sure

3. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

It’s really easy if you have the right equipment and kinda know what your doing. You’ll have to get rid of the entire R12 refrigerant, then your evaporator, coil, and hoses need to be flushed. You’ll have to replace the accumulator/dryer and the “O”tube. Replace all “O” rings with R134a type, Put the system under vacuum at 29 hg’s for about 30 min to get rid of all moisture that’s in the system. After 30 min under vacuum, let it sit for about 15 min to let all the moisture boil off, but the system under vacuum again for 15 min. (oh ya did I mention that you need a r134a a/c gauge set) Add the required amount a PAG oil, and charge the system with the required amount of r-134a. The charge of r-134a will be 80to 85 % of the original r-12 refrigerant charge. R-134a operated at a much higher pressure than the r-12 did.

Check out the following two web site for additional help

http://acsource.net/acforum/index.php

http://www.autoacforum.com/

Dan..

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

look here for some general AC info also CLICK