Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air conditioning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Jul 18, 2001.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I wanted to refill or recharge(whatever its called) my air conditioner. I saw that there was a kit at Target but it said it was for 134a (might be 143a I mix numbers up) air conditioning or something like that. Well what I want to know is, will that work to refill the air conditioning for my truck? Has anyone ever done this before?

Thank you

<font color=red>_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>'90 Jimmy</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://geocities.com/moose_53_99>geocities.com/moose_53_99</a>

2. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

it should as long as your truck as the same in it. R134a that is.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by MA87K5 on 07/19/01 07:14 AM.</FONT></P>

3. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT MIX 134A WITH THE WHAT IS IN YOU BLAZER...CHECK IT FIRST BECAUSE MORE THAT LIKELY IT IS 12 AND THEY DON NOT MIX! make sure what you have there will be a tag on the back of the compressor somewhere telling you what it is. now do not mess with the a/c system unless you have the proper equipment and know what you are doing. and a/c are called sealed systems that means nothing gets in and nothing gets out so if you do need a charge that means you have a leak. find it and fix it first. and because the older freone(i can't spell) destroys ozone it is now illegal to just recharge the system without fixing the leak and it is also hard to find and expensive since they quit making it so most people are converting over to the 134a with kits they make to clean out the old stuff.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Aye, 88streetblaze is correct, you shouldn't mix the two. But if your system is leaking enough to have you at 100% discharged, you can go around and repair most of it (should not need evacuation if it's all leaked out).

It's always a good idea to have a pro do this, but if all your freon is already gone, it shouldn't matter.

I'd say to go around to every fitting one by one, disconnect it, take the O-ring out and replace it at each connection. Lube it before re-assembly (wait for a verifying post on what fluid/lube to use that won't interact negatively with the system. Brake fluid will swell the ring, petrol products might eat it, and I don't know if that's desirable in the AC system...).

I did the exact same thing with probably the exact same kit on my old '88, and just bought the recharge/retrofit kit for my new '88. I didn't change any O-rings on my old one, though, and it started leaking a couple months later.

Very important point: If you do recharge it, make SURE you use the oil charge and O-ring conditioner, or your compressor will head south for the summer... Also, make sure the O--rings fit perfectly. Don't stretch them or squeeze them in, or they won't serve thier purpose. And make darn sure you use the proper wrenches. The aluminum tubing bends and kinks extremely easy...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

5. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

something else.. it could just be the (there is a fancy word for it that eludes me at the moment(connoter valve) lol ) filter basiclly in the system that can clog up and cause problems for the system, such as decreased cooling. i have seen that happen but you would have to evacuate the system to even check this.