Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Conditioning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Utblain, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Utblain

Utblain Newbie

I just converted my 85 over to R-134a, but I am unsure how much R-134a to put in it. Anybody have a manual that tells how many ounces of refrigerant to put in a A.C. system?

Blain

2. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

Your local automotive store should have a pressure guage that you can use to check your system. I bought one that looked like a big tire guage and it works great. I even use it on my 96 Intrepid. I think they sell the dial type guages as well. FYI, I paid $7.00 for mine. Hope this helps. Ryan

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Most sources agree on the 80 percent rule of thumb...however 134A being so picky its best to charge it slowly and watch your pressures and dash temps due to varying climates and loads on the system such as humidity and extreme heats out here in the SW. Low side at idle should be around 30 psi and if the front of the condensors is clean along with the radiator expect to see 190 to 225 psi...if its higher than that either the fan clutch is not locking up 100 percent and or a helper fan will be necessary.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!