Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air dam under the front bumper worth the effort?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Sandman, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I just picked up a '92 xtra cab dually with the 7.4 with a 5 speed and 3.73 rear gears. I am getting a little better then 11 mpg. The black air dam under the front bumper is gone and I was wondering if there was enough mileage increase on the highway to make it worth the effort. Has anybody noticed a difference?

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

You probably will not see a mileage increase with or without the front air dam on a big-block truck.
    The big-blocks are not designed for fuel economy, they'll get 11 MPG going up-hill/down-hill, loaded/unloaded, sun-up to sun-down. They'll probably get 11 MPG just sitting in the driveway /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

But thats not to say the air-dam is not important.
    In meny cases (exp. on cars without open grills like camaros/vettes, all-most everything now-a-days)The air dam creates a high-pressure zone infront of the car and will help force the air to travel up and into the radiator.
    On trucks with an open grill, the effect is probably less, but it still creates a high-pressure zone and will probably help with engine cooling.

My vote would be to reinstall or replace the front air-dam.

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I will give you the air dam off my Tahoe..............if you can get the link to your Blazer on Double Whammy to work. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. Sandman

I ended up getting one from the junkyard along with a bedliner. I'll try to get that link up tonight. I've got tons of video, I just hav'nt had the time to put it into the right format and load it. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. Sandman

I got the link to work so enjoy! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. MOABDADC22

I am downloading the movie as we speak. Heh Heh....cool. You dig Chevelles?? Check out my site.

7. Sandman

Nice Car! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I put a link on my page with a few pics of mine. Our cars look pretty close....

8. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

a friend of mine actually just did some research on this...working on the 2002 ford explorer at a wind tunnel in VA...
    basically trying to reduce drag any way possible...put on a full bellypan, rear spoiler, and air dam and tested the drag for each part...

the air dam was the only thing that was worth a damn
    it knocked a good .02 off of the Cd...
    not a huge help, but it will help a little... if you drive enough on the highway it might help...keep in mind after about 35 mph the aerodynamics is the biggest retarding force...

so my opinion is, it sure cant hurt, considering your Cd is probably in the range of .45+...i know the new suburban is like .446, and they did a lot to knock the drag down...

9. Sandman

Thanks, I notice that the stock air dam is small where an aftermarket one can be a lot larger. Since this is mainly a tow vehicle I might go ahead and get the larger one. Thanks for the info.

10. MOABDADC22

What the hell did you justs say LOUDNOW???? Speak English boy.......... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i think Cd means coefficient of drag...coefficient of drag means???

12. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Coefficient of drag is used to calculate the force that pulls back on your car as it goes down the road. Tires have a Cd the road has a Cd. In this case it tells how areodynamic the car is, or how much force the air is pulling back on the car. Someone can probably explain this better. JEEZ didn't you pay attention in Physics????? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif j/k

13. MOABDADC22

I said ENGLISH BOY!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

hehe sorry bout that

been dealing with this subject for a few years now, i always just shorten it cause i'm lazy...
    i did a lot of testing on the new suburban body style, we were trying to hit 25/30 mpg in it...

made endless spreadsheets of numbers, like if i add an air dam, i reduce the drag on the vehicle by a certain amount, which would ultimately lead an increase of highway fuel economy...
    but at the same time, i'd be adding weight, which affects city fuel economy and 0-60 acceleration numbers...

fried my brain for over a year, came up with these pretty charts and graphs, designed the add on parts, prototyped them....
    and of course ultimately, the management decided, thats great and all, but we really dont want to change the look of the suburban....
    so it all got cut