Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air down

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by badfish4tail, Jul 29, 2005.

1. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

I know this question might sound silly to some of you old timers but i got to ask....What is the PSI i should have when i air down before hitting the trail.
    I have 35/14.5x15 boggers on 15x10 rock krawler rims...Thanks

2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

im in the dirt alot so i run about 18-20. sand and rock crawling i see people run down 8psi. matter of ure driving style and terrain. maybe others have more input but seems like no other opinions have been offered. start playing around while u wheel to see what u like.

btw, i have 35" 15.5x 10 bf mt's

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

With my 12.50 33 MTs I usually air down to 15-20 lbs for rocks and soft stuff.
    I go down around 12 PSI for snow wheeling. Thats about as low as I would want to go and not worry about poping a bead.

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

13 psi is what I run out here in the rocks.

5. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info...think i will start out about 20 psi

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

With smaller tires you can't go as low as with bigger tires because you still need ground clearance but with some 36s I had I would go down to 5 on the snow 8-10 on the rocks and sand and 15-20 for mud if you are going to go down to the levels where you could possibly pop a bead you may want to figure out a way to reseat it beforehand I use the starting fluid and match trick has always worked for me but it might be best to go get a junk tire and practice

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

bias swampers can go pretty low without losing much ground clearance.the thicker sidewalls can hold up the truck alot better than radials. i run my 33" tsl's around 10psi on the trail and they barely bulge.

radials usually cant take low pressure like a bias can. my radial A/T's look flat at 18 psi.

i would start at 15psi and keep going lower till you have problems. 8-10psi would probly be perfect.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've run my old worn 36" TSL's as low as 6 psi in the sand. Even then there was not much buldge in the sidewall and I never lost a bead.

Bias Swampers will easily tolerate single digits.

Rene

9. short sub

short sub Registered Member

i just started running boggers a few months back and they are STIFF. on my rig i run 11 psi front and 8 rear and they still dont bulge unless up against a rock or other obstacle. when running the tsls i couldnt air down as much, but i think u can try wheeling at around 10 psi for sure-play with it and see what ya like the best Later Ryan

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Are you running 15" rims? I've been nervous to air down more than 15psi front and rear since I lost a bead on my old 38's. I currently have 44x18.5 swampers on 16.5x12 wheels. I'm just nervous about losing a bead while I'm sideways on an obstacle, I'd really hate to flop it and hurt anyone in the truck (sheet metal is repairable).