Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Filter Hood

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hayduke, May 13, 2000.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

quick question, i want to install an open K&N filter but my filter hood and housing are a little odd. first off, glued into the bottom of my air filter housing is a 1/2 inch thick, 3.5 inch high fine mesh metal permanent filter, when you add your removable air filter this permanent piece rests about an inch behind it all around. I was wondering what this was and if it would help/hurt if i left it in with a K&n filter?
    also, where can i get a top plate for my air filter housing to replace the hood so my filter will be open all around?
    this is for an 86 K5 Jimmy w/ a 305.
    thanks

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Just go to any auto store and get the round upper and lower covers.. They are a set, just get the size of your filter 13" or 14".

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

3. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I just recently replaced the stock breather with an 14" edelbrock chrome plated open element breather. And I bought a K&N filter for it. I immediately noticed a little bit more pep, and 2 better MPG!!!

4. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

That sounds like your stock breather from G.M. Just go buy the top and bottom parts like the previous guys said. Any auto parts store will have them. Take in your filter if you don't know the size.

Phil in K.C.