Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air filter question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Sep 16, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

i get my blazer back tom, and was wanting to but a k&n air filter on it. Do most of you guys with that set up have an open filter? Do you recommend them? And where did you purchase yours?>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have the k&n filter on my Jimmy, and I think its totally worth the money. I have mine in the stock air intake with the tube going to the grill. It works fine, and I think I would rather have it this way because you are not sucking in the hot air from around the engine compartment.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I bought a KN recently from autozone. Just any autoparts store... i have the stock setup but its not the tube to the grille and its not open either it has a small extension but still opens up in the engine... honestly, it didnt make that great of a diff... it sounds a lil better... i couldnt tell any power gains though.
    Id say if your filter is in good condition dont front the money for a new KN.. but if your filter needs reaplcement might as well go w/ the KN that gets more CFM's into your truck.. my old filter was worn adn needed reaplcement. So i just gave up extra $$ for the KN. It's worth it though b/c its reusable and you dont have to always replace it.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.11 gears, Lim Slip Dif, Force2 Catback, rear springs , Throtle body spacer.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got one... love it! I would say buy one. I don't have an open element. I decided not too to keep from sucking hot air into it from the engine. Plus I saw a few times when people have done watery mud it's gotten wet that way. If you want a filter about any parts place can get them for you. If you want an open element same thing.... most places can get them......

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you do any muddin' an open element is asking for problems, IMO. Even my stock setup got some mud &amp; water in it the last time I went out.

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I run an open-element K&amp;N. You should also buy the cleaning kit for it. I've gotten the ENTIRE engine compartment covered in mud and I just washed the filter and re-coated it with the oil from the kit. It hasn't let me down yet and my engine runs a tad under 190 degrees, even in 100+ humid, city-driving, stop-and-go weather.

<font color=red>Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings"</font color=red>

7. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Summit sells them for less than the parts store in my experience. but there is no reason not to get them considering they are good for about 10 years they say. Just think of how many filters you would have to buy in 10 years if you go offroading where there is dust or just plain driving on the street

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a>