Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air filter question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hailey, Feb 11, 2003.

1. hailey

hailey Registered Member

I am going to order one of the Chrome air cleaners with K&N filter from Summit to go on my 72 (factory intake, carb, and ignition). On the page( http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=18&s=2&p=2075&searchtype=ecat), there are several different sizes and types availabe. I am going to go out an measure to see how much clearance I have to get the tallest one I can. My question is, what is the difference in the base. They offer each size in a flat base, offset base, and drop base. Also, I will eventually go to a HEI.
    Thanks

Hailey

2. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I got one of the Edelbrock 14"x3" chrome air cleaners, and I found that I had to buy a plastic 1" ring-spacer to go between the carb and cleaner base... the new base was "dropped" and it rubbed the fuel line at the carb. You may also want to consider getting one of those hi-tech plastic spacers that fit between the manifold and the carb (and decrease the height of the filter element); it keeps the carb way cool and it allows the air & fuel to mix a bit more. I put a 2" spacer in, and it seems to work pretty well. If I ever switched to HEI, there'd be plenty of vertical clearance with this setup.

3. hailey

hailey Registered Member

so a 1 inch spacer and a 3 inch tall filter fit?

hailey

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here is my setup. I have a Edelbrock Perf RPM intake, K&N 14" X 4" Filter with the dropped base, and I made a 1" spacer that fits between the carb and filter base. I needed the spacer so the filter would clear the fuel lines, vac secondary canister, etc. As you can see, the filter sits just below the lip on the firewall.
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. hailey

hailey Registered Member

Hailey likey

6. TED

TED Registered Member

My filter is 3" tall and a 1" spacer was necessary to clear fuel lines and HEI.

7. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I too am putting in the ED' 14X3 with the dropped base. I am doing the engine swap this weekend, and I will also try and get pics up showing what I did! I am a proud owner!

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I put in a 14x4" cleaner with a flat base on the top of my Q-jet. I also got the foam pre-cleaner for it. It fits fine and the pre-filter keeps me from having to clean the K&N after each trip...I just wish it came in something other than crome /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i talked to an engine builder that locally does stuff and also builds engines for racing applications.he said that if you are using both the edelbrock intake and carb you should not put a spacer inbetween because then the carb does not know how to run since it is a split intake to let both sides of the carb run independent of each other.i will be taking my carb spacer off as soon as the weather warms up a little.

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I think you're talking about a carb spacer (one between the carb and the intake). They're talking about a one inch ring on top of the carb to move the cleaner higher. The carb doesn't move

11. chulisohombre

oops,never mind then. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

That guy doesn't really know what he's talking about either... If he did, he's know that there are several different types of spacers readily available (split plenum, open plenum, individual hole, three hole) and that some people make up their own spacers (and note that there are a variety of spacer thicknesses as well, ranging from 1/4" to 3"). On some combinations, an open spacer will work a tad better on a dual plane intake than an individual hole or split plenum spacer. On some conbinations, an individual hole spacer works best. On some, a three holer works best. One can't make the blanket statement that a spacer will be bad.

It's up to how the carburetor's state of tune most closely approximates the engine's state of tune (it will almost never perfectly match, but the venturi, jets, and rods do their best to approximate the right tune). The spacer is just another tool to use in tuning the engine.

13. chulisohombre

he told me that on the edelbrock setup with dual plane intake the carb would not know how much fuel to drop and at what point because it would have vaccuum pulling from both sides and that it would be hard to tune it the right way to get low end torque with the open spacer and edelbrock carb and intake.i checked and it also said this on the edelbrock website not to use a spacer with their intake and carb.it said it could cause vacuum problems.im still reserching but i have ran both setups and i dont really see much of a difference in the way the engine runs with a spacer.i might not have the best tuned spacer for my application though,but from a email from the tech guy at edelbrock they tell people not to run spacers on their setups because of the vacuum problem it can create.he said also that if it runs fine with it there would be no need to take it out.im just wandering how it would run if i took it out now.its been awhile since i ran with out it.