Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air/fuel mixture adjustment tool?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I posted this in the garage but I figured it would get more view here. I really need help on this one I killed a quarter tank of gas just idealing in the drive way for like an hour of and on.Does anyone know where I can find a tool to adjust the air/fuel mixture on quadrajet off a 86 305 k5. The screws that are in there don't have the conventional heads on them, or even a normal shape. Instead of normal screws that have a slotted or phillips head, they used screws that are nothing but rectangles on the ends. The things just look like slivers of metal about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch thick. If anybody has any ideas on how to turn these things I'm all ears. I tried needle nose pliers on the one i just tookoff and they screws turn easily, un fortunately I can't use needl nose pliers on the one that is now install because the things won't fit in between the carb and the water jacket. Does GM make a tool specifically for this or am I going to have to rig something up. Thanks for any ideas you have.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

They do sell them OTC makes em.
    I made my own, I used a bolt and cut a slot in it with a die grinder. I think I used a 5/16" bolt.

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

My one quad has what looks like extended mixture screws with a slot head on them. I don't know where you can get them but now you know they are out there. If you pull the carb off you can get them with a small pair of needle noses.

I made my own tool by grinding down a 1/4" drive socket... I forget which size---5mm I think. I ground it thin, put it in a vice and crushed it until it fit around the flats. This tool worked for awhile but it finally broke but I fixed it with soem welding.(In otherwords, go out and by the proper tool, I'm just cheap)

4. BTCRAWFORD

BTCRAWFORD Registered Member

Try using an old aluminum gun cleaning rod, and slot the end.
    then put a piece of tape around it to make a little tab to use as an indicator. I put a piece of vacuum tubing at the end for a grip. Made it about 4" long. It works great!

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You know, I have a part number for that tool, but I can't find it. I looked through everything I could think of, no luck. They sell them online, I believe Napa may even carry them. The name I saw referenced for the tool was "flex double D".

One other option I have heard is to use copper tubing, and just squash one end flat. The flex tool would obviously be easier to use, but the tubing should be available at any hardware store.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I got mine from NAPA, just ask for what you asked here.
    The flexing is needed to snke it through all the garbage and adjust from a comfortable position.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I think I paid $12 for it.

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure most parts stores carry them. I think it's called a carb adjustment tool. Has a screwdriver handle with flexible shaft.