Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air/Fuel tank....common wall and formulas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Dec 6, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Here's my idea, I'm actually designing it this weekend. Didn't really like the fuel cells offered in the aftermarket so I'm going to build my own. I want it to be about 6" tall and barely fit between wheelwells side to side, then however long it has to be to house 32 gal.

What's the formula for figuring gallons into sq ft?

I plan to then make another box under that to hold compressed air for my air compressor, same size box. Can it be one big box with a divider or a better idea to make two seperate ones? I don't want any chance of a blowout in the air tank to ignite the fuel somehow.

After designing this, I'll cut the floor, and drop that section of the floor about 4" to put my air/fuel tank assy into. The overall height will only be 12 - 13" so I'll be about up to the top of the wheelwells. That way filling it won't be a problem. I'll run the filler tube from the drivers side and install a fuel hose/cap in the side of the truck.

Have I confused anyone yet? Well if anyone has the answers to any of these questions, shoot them on over.

My main goal is to bob 10" off the rear of the blazer, get rid of the underbody tank, fill it from the outside, run a mechanical pump, and incorporate an air tank in the process...

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Some one said the other day that you should only use a cylinder shaped tank for air. That way the presure would be evenly distributed. You DO NOT want a air tank to explode.
    The formula for a fuel cell is- L"xH"xW"devided by 231=total gallons.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the formula and the square vs round thing makes sense as well. But it sure is a pain to build or locate a round cylinder anywhere. Any other ideas?

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have an idea. Why don't you build your square fuel cell and attach to one of it's sides one or two scuba air tanks? These would be properly connected to your air compressor and tools.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That might work...a lot of folks have been running co2 tanks for airing up tires, they say they can air up about 40 35x12.50s from 5 to 25 psi between refills. But I want air tools on the trail dang it....So I don't know, would I be able to plumb them in to store air from the compresser? I'd need a bleed valve right so I don't go over pressure?

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

6. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

See if you can find a wrecking yard that handles the big rigs...They have ALL kinds of cool tanks and valves on them. Might have exactly whatcha need! I think what you're thinking of is a pressure relief valve or pop-off valve.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just resting!"

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey that's right, great idea! we've got one here in town and then one in sherman. I know the old man that owns Dickies Wrecking in Sherman, maybe he'll work with me on a good price or at least give out some ideas

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I work on semi's for a living...all their air tanks are round....check with your local dealers or BIG truck wrecking yards!

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

9. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

we own a trailer manufacturing company and we sell the tanks...if u need on call me (Chaz) a at murray trailers 1-800-466-4434..i think they run for about 25-30 bucks...i dont really remember right now...but they have welded on tabs with holes for bolts and about 8 inches round and 2 feet long....

Chaz

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

11. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Hey not a bad idea on the gas tank.Just a thought.You'll probably have too put three or four pick up points for fuel.If you have a tank that is a large rectangle.Say 48"x48" 6" thick.If it is half full but the truck is say leaning too the side just slightly if the pick up is on the other side it will become uncovered.Same for any off level situation opposite of a single pick up point.This is because the fuel is soo wide spread.Just a thought i had when i read your post.Also i checked on a costum tank too and it seemed the best sources where boat repair and supply shops.They deal alot with aluminum fixs and fab work.Anyways hope it works.

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I was thinking of one pickup and sloping the bottom of the tank kinda like one of those belly dump rock trucks. So all sides slope to the middle where the pickup is. Never seen the inside of a fuel tank, just can't quite grasp the idea of having 3 pickups. Getting it built is not a problem here, my company does custom water tank fabrication all the time. Yeah, it's what you're thinking. We weld, pressure test, and seal afterwards. The sump idea a good one????

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

13. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

could you redescribe where you were going to put the fuel cell....

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'll be running some numbers off this weekend as well as an ACAD 3D drawing, but the mind formed plan is here:

In the cargo area of the truck...which will be 10" shorter than a std blazer. take up the whole cargo area between the wheel wells or close to it. And as tall as it needs to be to be even with the wheelwells. Then I'll drop the rear floor in that area enough to keep the tank at near 32 gal.

Like I said, my whole goal is to lose 10" off the back of the blazer for better departure angle, lose the low hanging rear tank, and still be able to fill from outside. And have enough room underneath to mount my 9012s. Man I'd love to do a 1/4 elliptical in the rear...then I'd be able to chop it near the center of the wheelwells, over 90 degrees departure....i guess a guy can dream....

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

15. Hell just put the stok tank in the be and metal around it!LOL

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How about a propane grill tank?

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

So is this 32 gallons of gasoline going to be inside the truck with you? Personally, I'd much prefer it stay outside than be in the truck with me. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yes inside the truck, but as I pointed out in another post, I don't see why that couldn't be made to be safe. Technically the fuel cells in Arena trucks, desert racers, ect are inside the cab with them because there's no back wall and no bed floor. Several factory trucks came with in cab fuel tanks including 4x4 FJ-40 Landcruisers (mounted under the passenger seat) and '67-'72 Chevy pickups (mounted behind the bench seat)

Because I'm chopping 10" off the rear, there's just no place for the fuel tank under the rig unless I went with saddle tanks and that idea doesn't appeal to me at all. With my 9012's in a hook similar to steve and depdogs, that's just in the way of moving the tank forward.

I think if I make a properly sheilded metal tank, I'll be fine. It'll be out of the way of obstructions where it can't get bashed and I personally think it'll be SAFER

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

19. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Never thought of the sloping it all too the middle that would work great.What i meant about multiple pickups was like a fitting in each corner.A freind of mine has a pretty bad corvette.And we had too put a fuel fitting on each side of the fuel cell because it would die in long corners.Thats what made me think of this.Gas tank in bed or under bed.If god forbidding a gas tank blew up while attached too the truck no matter where it's going too bad.It would be better protected in the bed.It would just have too be air tight and vented too the outside.Most hotrods and such mount them in the trunk.Also read that the vent line should come off the top and make about a 8-10 loop then bulkheaded through the floor too the outside.If you do it tell us how it works.