Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air hammer recommendations

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by bp71k5, May 7, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I just got the IR 2135TI impact wrench everyone here seems to recommend. I'm going to be doing an ORD shackle flip pretty soon and heard an air hammer is the easiest way to get the frame rivets out. I've got the cheapo campbell hausfeld air hammer, but haven't used it yet. Can I get by with this since I don't do that much chiseling? Thanks.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's what I used. HF chepo. That and a die grinder with a cutting wheel. And a regular grinder. And a BFH.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wouldn't bother buying another one. I have a cheap Ingersoll Rand. Seems to be the one everyone has at my work. I just like IR stuff, but I'd say use the one you have, if you find it to not be working, head to Sears Hardware and pickup the IR one(where I got mine).

4. bp71k5

Yea, i figured I'd try it out since it was only $15, but I still have the receipt and can take it back and use the $15 for one that will do the job. Depending on when the shackles get here, I may just try it out anyway and report back on how it works.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've got the IR 231G, with the quick-change tool holder. Works great. I've used it to hammer rusted spring hanger & shackle bolts out, break-up a big chunk of concrete for disposal, and cut a hole in a cinderblock wall for an electrical outlet box.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

home depot/// husky//lifetime warranty...
    Ive never needed the warranty and I use and abuse this tool..sometimes I twist it sideways while hammering away...
    Im impressed

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i used a snap on one that we had at work
    blattat
    that quick rivit was off and done

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is the combonation of tools I used as well. Many people have claimed that an air chisel was all they needed, but getting all the rear spring hanger rivets on my truck off was a major project. Maybe 1-ton pick-up truck frame rivets are more heavy duty than a 1/2-ton Blazers are.

10. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I've used several different rivet guns at work putting jets back together and a good 9X rivet gun is good for puching things through and tearing things apart. 5X is good for putting thing back togther unless the fasteners are over 3/16ths. But for what we do on trucks a 9X is probably preferable, although any air hammer is better than no air hammer. If you look through parts catalogs you'll even be able to find punch sets that will chuck up in your gun. Word of advice too, if your gun comes with a safety spring use when ever possible... I'll never forget the time a guy shot our instructor at tech school... from across the room.:haha:
    Edit: He was okay though, just really bruised and mad.

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

not to be too much off topic but,...........

When I did my shackle flip a couple of weeks ago, I ground off the rivit heads then drilled out the center of the rivits (to relieve the stress) then punched them out with the air chisel.

12. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

7 bucks .. LOL that's what I just bought one for. Yes, I know it's a cheapo junker... but I just had to see how good or bad it works for 7 bucks. :thumb:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32940

It was actually one dollar cheaper at the store. If it doesn't work good, I'll rig something on the end to shake my rattle cans with.. LOL

13. bp71k5

Well, I got into it yesterday and the air chisel did very little by itself. I did drill one head out in the center and used the chisel to get the rest of the head off, but it would take weeks with the little hammer alone. I guess it would need more air pressure or something.

I think I'm going to grind the rest off with an angle grinder and try punching the rivets out with the air chisel/hammer.

I hope that answers the question for anyone that wanted to know.

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I just found the same thing you did - the air hammer & chisel didn't do much to the rivet head by itself. So I cut the rivet heads square with a cutting disc on my angle grinder, then attacked with the chisel again. BIG DIFFERENCE! Rivet head popped with about a minute of hammering. About 2 minutes with the grinder, 1 minute with the air hammer & chisel, 1 minute with the air hammer & punch, for a total of 4 minutes per rivet to remove them completely.