Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Hammer suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jan 14, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm missing a vital tool in my box, an air hammer. I've always like IR air tools, but I'm not so sure I need to spend the big $$ for their hammer.

Is there an advantage to a better hammer? Is there a serious difference in the operation of say a $39 Sears one to a $89 IR heavy-duty?

This is something I really don't understand how to make sure you get a good one. Every one I've ever used was loud as hell and did the work, and the quality of the chisels/attachments always seemed like the most important thing.

I don't want to end up with crap though, so what do you think? What kind of air hammer should I buy?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, unfortunately this a case where quality will generally matter. if it's for the very occasional use i suppose you could go cheap. as a longtime body guy, i've cut off 100's of quarters, etc and mine has been beat to death. the nature of the tool is that it gets abused. i've had a medium duty Snap On (PH50)for about 15 yrs now. i finally just sent it out for a service a couple months ago to have it gone over. prior to that i had a cheapy CP that lasted a few years, then [darn] the bed.

be prepared for bits to be expensive. i had owned about 15 to 20 for years. then i found a sweet deal on the Bay last year, about 40 various bits for $55, i was stoked. got a whole drawer full now, everything from bushing drivers to sheetmetal rippers to a muffler expander... most decent bits new run 10 to 40..

i would say stick with an IR, Snap On or Mac probably if you want decent quality.

heres a couple auctions going pretty cheap now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2371922235&category=42264

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43988&item=2454117185

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll get the IR heavy duty one then. I refuse to pay for the Snap On name in air tools. They don't make them anyway.

4. ryoken

whatever dude... what the hell do i know, only been doing this stuff 25 yrs... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif btw, tools are made to spec for Snap On....

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    whatever dude... what the hell do i know, only been doing this stuff 25 yrs... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif btw, tools are made to spec for Snap On....

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a shame that nobody normal can afford their stuff, or I'd have a box full of it.

That said, I haven't had any problems with IR stuff, and never in my life have I ever heard or seen anyone complain about their stuff. Their prices are reasonable too, so I'll spend the $110 and get the IR H/D gun then.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

That's cuz they had to have OCC build them a $250k custom motorcycle /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    That's cuz they had to have OCC build them a $250k custom motorcycle /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I wish Snap-On wasn't everyone's justification for everything to do with tools. I know that they make good stuff, and that the Snap-On tool guy's business is firmly imbedded as part of the automotive business in general but their stuff is too damn expensive for a normal guy like me. I want good quality stuff but I can't afford to put out that kind of money.

I think there should be a law against selling tools for what they do. On the plus side, they're made in the USA, every one of them. That's a great thing.

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Matco air hammers

These are really nice pieces, I got the long barrel one and love it. I used it to take off every rivet from the cab back on my frame. Whatever you do, dont get the ones with the goofy spring on the outside, I have had nothing but bad experiences with them.

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll get the IR heavy duty one then. I refuse to pay for the Snap On name in air tools. They don't make them anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Snap On Air Hammer

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have heard a rumor that home depot has a lifetime warrenty on air tools.
    As for the smap on vs the other guy debate:
    I work for a LARGE tire company. All of our air tools are IR including the 2 100 gallon compressors each shop has. We have used snap on but the price isn't worth it, the difference in precision hand tools is noticeable though. The snap on company legend is based around $32000 in tools for $43 a month. That is the biggest benefit for a pro.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All of Home Depot's stuff is imported. I wouldn't take it for free.

Just found out the IR H/D gun is imported too. Onward to the Matco...my buddy in Florida can get me a deal on one I think. I'm going to check and see if CP makes one in America.

Why the ^$#%# is it so hard to find air tools made in the USA?

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I gotta say that in general I agree. Snap-On is great, but the price exceeds the value on most things IMO.

As for the air-chisel, I've got the HD short barrel IR and it works great for everything I need. The "chisels" are the tough part. Darn things are terribly expensive, and the IR gun shatters the cheapies within minutes... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. ryoken

did i badmouth IR? didn't think so, as a matter of fact i recommended IR, Snap On and Mac.. i own a 1/2 IR impact, damn nice gun..

but your contention that noone "normal" can afford Snap On or that it's "rebadged" stuff is bunk. pro mechanics all over the country find a way to buy their stuff because they require the best and take their jobs seriously. go to any car dealership in the country and see what the majority of their tools are. it's not for everyone, but it is for alot.

your refusal to buy any Snap On air tool is your loss. i gave you links to 2 guns at 1/2 the price of the IR and you dismiss it. i highly doubt an IR air hammer is better than Snap On.

14. BadDog

No doubt. Snap-On, Mac, and the like make some good tools. And, as you suggest, many of their tools that are made by someone else (i.e. IR) are made to "Snap-On specs". Whether they are better or worse than IR or anyone else's specs, I have no idea. I own a few that I bought used and a few I bought new. It's just that for a home mechanic, the price is beyond the point of diminishing returns. Anyone other than a professional mechanic would be hard pressed to justify the price vs. return unless they just like the bling factor. For someone turning wrenches all day, it's worth it for "minimal down time", high tolerance fitment, and other factors that come into play.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If the hammer is anything like their impact guns, it's just a re-badged IR anyway. You can call it whatever you want, but the simple fact is that both Mac and Snap-On re-badge IR impact guns because they're the best money can buy hands down. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest on that one, there is absolutely no question as to who the leader in impact guns are. Reguardless, I've already got an impact gun, so that's a moot point.

Those two links you sent me will probably sell for at least what the IR gun goes for, if not more. I'm not going to buy the IR gun anyway, as it's not made in the USA. I'm going to continue to look. I really don't want to spend $150 on an air hammer, but I'll wait and save some cash if it means getting the best vs. getting crap.

And, it's like you said, PRO MECHANICS. I'm not a pro mechanic. I have four pickup trucks, one of which is for parts, the other three run and drive. These are the only vehicles on which these tools will ever see duty. I take my work seriously, but not seriously enough to have 35 grand worth of tools in my shop when I'm 20 years old and don't have a house yet.

If I was married, had a house, and still had 35 grand to throw away on some tools, I'd be all over it.

Either way, I hope I can find something a little more affordable, if not, I'll plunk down the cash for the Matco or Snap on hammers as long as they're made in America.

'60 install is coming soon. I want to get this thing in the shop and out, not sit for months like it has in the past. This is going to be a weekend job if it kills me.

16. BadDog

Eh, Tim, I think there is a problem with your logic.

You say that Snap-On is rebadged IR. You won't buy an IR because they are not made in the USA. Then you say that if you can't find something else, you'll buy a Snap-on as long as it's made in the USA. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never intended to say that Snap-On was inferior, just more than I am really willing to spend.

However, if paying more gets me a tool made in america, as I always do, I will.

As I said above, I do not know if the air hammers are rebadged IR, but the air IMPACT guns are.

Maybe what I meant isn't coming out clearly here, but what I've gathered from this discussion is that further investigation will have to be done before a purchase is made.

IR tools are not all imported. My impact gun is made in usa/canada. If they have a made in USA model I'll get that.

I was hoping to avoid the over $100 stuff, but since you guys all seem to have the good ones, that's what I'm going to go for, even if it does cost me a little more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif