Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Hammer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know this should be in the Tools section, but I can't post there because I'm too cheap to pay to be a full member.
    Anyway, I was looking at air hammers today and I must know, how well do they cut rivets? I need to cut the rivets off the spring hanger on my truck to replace it. Also why are these things like $30? What brand should I get?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i have found that a grinder works quicker to cut the heads off the rivets. But a air chisel will work ok

3. Chevy305

I've been using a grinder and it has been working decently so far.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

grinder is the best method IMO. never had much luck with Air Hammers for that. You think $30 is expensive? Mine is an Ingersoll Rand. I buy all Ingersoll Air tools. Only thing I have thats not Ingersoll is my 3/8" Mac Impact(which is just an Ingersoll gun with Mac logo on it) and a craftsman 1/4" drive air ratchet(wish I had spent the money on an Ingersoll, haha).

With a grinder, what I do is, grind a cross into the rivet head. Make sure you are all the way through the head(cutting into the base material as little as possible) then you can grind off the 4 pieces left much easier(and with a guide as to depth) or sometimes you can get away with knocking them inward with a hammer and pounding the rivet through.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Of the 3 ways I have tried (grinder, drill, & air-hammer) I like the drill best with the grinder a close second. My friend likes the torch the best, but I don't have one.

If you do it with a drill make sure you have a few sharp bits-and preferably a Drill Doctor. Just center-punch them and drill off the heads and part way into the shank. Beat the rest out w/ a punch.

The air hammer works best AFTER you have drilled the head off. There are punches made to fit air-hammers/rivet guns that work great at knocking out the rest of the rivet instead of beating it with a hammer & punch. You will probably find them from an aircraft sheet metal supplier quicker than anyone else. I've got a few and they work great.

6. bigjbear

Sled, don't bother with the IR 1/4" dr air ratchet. Its the same one everyone else sells, just rebadged. If you want a good one get the Snappy FAR25. Trust me, I have both.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

8. Chevy305

I have been using a combined method so far. I grind the heads off and if I can I punch them through but if not I drill into them. This has been working for me so I don't think I need to invest into an air hammer. Thanks for the advice. I just wish this could go alot faster and it was warmer and I had more daylight to work and more time to work in the daylight. I am having deprivation from driving my truck. It has been about 3 weeks since I've even heard it run. :mad:

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:haha: :haha: :haha:

[​IMG]
    http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2244&page=1&#37071

coupled with a Mac AH912 chisel, backed by a good compressor, you can completely dismantle a frame in about 30 mins.

i used to buy strictly Campbell Hausfield or Craftsman air tools. got my hands on some good stuff, and i'll never go back. i have a brand new CH 1/2" impact, used 2 or 3 times, that is in a box in my shed. i bought my 2135 TI (paid around $300 for it), and i'll never go back to the cheap stuff again.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I see the CH stuff at Autozone and chuckle a little. I saw one with a big exclamation box thing around it saying "265ft lbs!!!!", on a 1/2" gun... my Mac 3/8 gun has more snot than that, haha. Hell my 2135 qTI has the same output as the Craftsman 3/4" impact sold at most Sears.

11. bigjbear

Use it every day and tell me what you think then. Like anything else there are tools for the homeowner and those for the guy making a living with them.

And if your still paying list, well then I guess you deserve to pay that much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-ON-FAR25-1-4-AIR-RATCHET-IMPACT-WRENCH-TOOLS-USA_W0QQitemZ4623093115QQcategoryZ43988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Snap-On-FAR25-1-4-Air-Ratchet_W0QQitemZ4623512639QQcategoryZ43988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

12. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

nice cold chisel and BFH works good for me, is my preferred method

each to their own :D

good luck