Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air helper springs?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Bob87Burb, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 Suburban V1500 that's an occasional DD, and mostly used for camping with the family (wife and 4 kids). Occasionally, I also have a need for towing a car trailer with a 3000 lb. car on it. The truck tows the trailer fine, and I'm not over the GVWR or anything, but it sags like crazy in the rear when it's either loaded with camping gear and kids (about 600 lb.) or with the trailer on it.

A couple years ago, I installed a 2" all spring lift from Tough Country. I went this route because it was cheaper than getting stock replacement parts. The ride is great, and the truck sits nice and level with no load.

Because I only use the truck to tow the trailer occasionally (three times a year at the most), I'm looking for the most cost effective way to solve the sagging issue. Short of having custom springs made, these seem to be a good option.

I have a couple of questions though. Has anyone used these, and what were your results? Does anyone know if these will work with the lift springs, or will I need to make a spacer for them?

I'm also open to any other ideas that are in the same price range.

Of course, if I was towing the trailer a lot, I'd get a rig more suited to the task, but it's really not an option at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

It won't help when you aren't towing, but are you using a weight dist. setup when you are towing?
    Also, getting a set of 3/4 ton springs will help in the back when solo and when towing, but will give you a bit stiffer ride when empty.

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

aren't the 3/4 ton springs a different width and/or legnth?

I'd look into some manual helper springs that just engage when the rear begins to sag. That way you don't have to air up the bags when you tow.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I have a set of these on one of my trucks. They do help eliminate the sag when you have a heavy load on the rear and will level out the vehicle when towing. When you're not towing you just keep a light amount of air pressure in them. I think you can get them for lifted trucks... They don't increase the vehicle's tow rating and can limit the wheel travel when you get into a "flex" situation. I'm pretty happy with the set on my truck and don't blind the other drivers at night anymore.

5. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I had thought about getting higher rated springs, but the ride is so smooth with these when unloaded I'd hate to mess with it, just for occasional towing.

I had also thought about the helper springs, but most people I've talked with have said they don't do all that much.

From other sites, and this one, I have about 6 replies about the bags, saying they haven't caused an issue, with the exception of limiting flexing. The flexing is not a big issue for me. This truck is not set up for off roading, nor do I plan to do anything all that extreme with it. I guess some would call it a "mall queen". :D The only time I use the 4WD is in the snow, or when taking it on the beach. There's really no good trails or places to 4 wheel in these parts anyhow. :frown1:

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

6. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I completely missed this post. :blush: I am not using a distributing hitch. To be honest, If I towed more, I would think about getting one, however with the few times I tow it seems like a lot to spend for a little use.

I had thought about 3/4 ton (or even 1 ton pickup) springs. As I had said, I like the ride the way it is empty, but it's hardly ever empty so that could be a possible option.

Does anyone know if 3/4 or 1 ton springs will bolt on? If so, since I have the lift springs in front, with the rear droop with stock 3/4 or one ton springs?

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I use a set of those on my k1500. They are excellent for your situation. I use mine for occasional towing while keeping a smooth ride for my DD. The installation is simple as for your 2" lift they say there is a company that sells spacers for these lifts you would have to do a Google search though.

8. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Thanks very much for the info! That's what I needed to hear, someone with a similar setup that was happy with it.

I'll most likely just order the bags, and fab something up for a spacer.

Of course, pics of the junk I bash together will follow. :)

9. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

Do the bags a buddy has them on the ft of his plow truck, it is nite and day difference the way it handles, he is very happy that he spent the few extra $ on the bags. I am also going to put bags in the rear of my Sub, but mine will be halling a very heavy wheeler, and loaded with supplies.

Go with bags and you will never go back with out them.