Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air horn ? QUESTION ON SWITCH

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 6, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

does anyone know where i can get an air horn that sounds exactly like the ones on 18 wheelers....nice and deep.....my buddy just put the hadley bully one on his truck and its nice but its not the sound i want....i want the same horns that the trucks have.....i wont be mounting this to roof so most likely put compressor/tank under hood and maybe the horns somehow under the front of the truck....can someone show me one on ebay that they are for sure sounds like a truck one???....also if i buy the horns they have on there that are just the horns and nothing else....any idea how they work??lanyard cable or switch./button????i want to make it operate by button....so any info would be great...i`m looking to spend no more than 175

TIA

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  2. OffroadOverstock

OffroadOverstock 1/2 ton status

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do a search for "train horn" on eBay. Get a tank and small compresor. I have a buddy with a train horn that will damn near shatter glass.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The best way to get the 18-wheeler sound is to pull a horn off an 18-wheeler. I put one in my truck that I yanked out of a freightliner at the nearest trucking yard. Got it for 10 bucks, got the valve off the truck too. You basically just need to plumb it to your compressed air, and put a simple valve inline. They are normally operated by cable, but I'm sure you could find some fancy solenoid operated valve that would work. Mine is use with a bike brake cable that I can pull on up by the A-pillar, mimmicking the standard 18-wheeler setup.

5. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i have a 3 horn train set up in my blazer with air tank and compressor. Believe me it is loud.. Yes i have scared a few people already. :haha: :haha:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  6. NEK5

alright i think i changed my mind as now i want the cable because i think you get a better feel for using it, and i think it would be cool to have the same setup as an 18wheeler.....so i think i`m gonna get the horns off ebay, and then try and find a lanyard valve/tank/compressor either ebay or around here somewhere.....now anyone have anyideas???

7. NEK5

anyone know where to get a horn of a mack truck or something...the ones that have the square bell and are like 25 or so inches long???

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you get it off a mack truck. Or a peterbuilt, freightliner, etc. Look for some truck wreckers in your area, they go for pretty cheap. Good place to get an air tank too.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Maybe call this place? Don't know man, not my coastline.

10. NEK5

hey man thanks alot i`ll give them a call

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

No problem. I don't know where "sin city" is, but I figured MA is a small state so what the heck. I just did a little searching at local.google.com. There were a few others, but that one sounded like it might have a few trucks. If not, ask them where you can find one in the local area, they should know if they're in the business. That's how I found my local truck wrecker a couple years ago. Good luck with your search.

12. NEK5

"sin city" is lynn, some people have asked me if it was lowell but it isnt, its lynn, i`ll let ya know how i make out

13. NEK5

alright,if i mount the horn itself on the frame or under the floor of the truck can i run an air line into the cab then hook the lanyard valve up{is that what its called?} and then run a line to the tank and compressor or does the valve have to be right at the horn? and if anyone can give me the link for the valve i need for it to be chain operated just like the mack trucks? TIA

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You can put the valve anywhere between the source and the horn. My horn is mounted on my inner fenderwell, fit perfect. The valve is pretty close to it, I just ran the bike cable all the way to the valve from the cab. I figured the horn would stay a little cleaner up in the engine bay than it would underneath the truck. The valve came off the same truck that the horn came off.

15. NEK5

ok, is the horn as loud having it in the engine bay??? i considered doing that also but wasnt sure about it....can you show me a pic of where your cable is?

16. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

It's pretty loud. People know it's a semi horn when they hear it, that's for sure. I can try and get a pic of the cable and horn setup tonight if I remember.

17. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

For those running air horns, how do they hold up to a wet/muddy environment

18. NEK5

please

19. NEK5

i still want to see what he has done with the bike cable but in the mean time does anyone know of a switch that you can somehow make operate on a cable....maybe get a toggle switch that has a spring in it like this

untitled.JPG

20. NEK5

bump