Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air hose from building to building?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jul 14, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Lookie like I'll be a homeowner again in several weeks... so I'm thinking ahead to setting up shop (literally!)

There's a little (~8x12'?) "play" building that the current owners set up for their kids ... I'm thinking it'd be a great place to put the air compressor, store parts, etc.

It's maybe, I donno, 20' from the garage. I'd like to put the compressor there, and run an airline over to the garage. I'm thinking just going from one roofline to the other.

Should I use some sort of hard line, like copper pipe, or would that get me into weird electrical issues, require grounding or something to avoid lightning issues, etc?

Could I just get a 50' rubber hose and string it up there with duct tape? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What's the best way to get air from one building to the next?

-- A

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You could run the copper pipe under ground...assuming there aren't any structures(buildings, driveways, sidewalks) in the way...or you could move the shed closer to the garage...

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

with ours we ran a 50' hose. as long as you string it up you'll be fine. We had ours just on the ground but it would pick up moisture so we had to have another filter at the end to get it back to dry.

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Is there anywhere to anchor the hard line or would it be a 20' span?

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I ran about 75' of copper under ground. My vote would be underground as long as it's dirt and not rocks.

6. dremu

Hmm. The shed is actually like a raised-foundation wooden building, so it's not going anywhere. The space between is paved, so underground would be a pain... I'm thinking that roofline-to-roofline would be the only way to go.

Which of course would prevent me from parking my Chalet in the backyard (7' 9" tall truck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) but that's prolly a good thing anyway /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Could I suppose dig a small "trench" into the concrete and then patch it, but that's WORK.

Any more ideas? This is why I looove CK5; thanks guys for suggestions so far!

Need for drier duly noted. Could anchor the hardline to the rooflines or to the buildings, like one does with conduit... heck, could even put up conduit and run the hard line inside it, if there's any value to doing so?

-- A

7. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I guess going wireless wouldn't work /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I would be more inclined to put a small shed against the building you will be working in. I would think an air line going in the air from building to building would get in the way and not look to good, unless it is in an area that wouldn't matter.

Does the shed you want to put the air compressor in have electricity, 110 or 220?

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Do you have any powerlines you can hook it to? I am no means an electricians, so if it un-safe to run the air line with the powerline, someone please correct me.

9. dremu

Yeah, the "shed" is actually a very small finished building, so yeah, power, windows, carpet, the works.

I could build a little leanto outside the garage for the compressor, but it's noisy (I think it's only single-stage) so having it farther away, and behind a wall, would be sweet.

(And I'm still contemplating running a CAT5 out there instead of wireless for my music /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

-- A

10. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member

underground, use pvc, they make special pvc for high pressure airlines and it's not that much more than regular, we ran about 1000ft of it in my firehouse thru all the diff rooms and it works great!

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Why not just use galvanived pipe or copper tube, from roof line to roofline, sink a couple of posts to give it support. Ground the air line on your @ the water spicet.

12. dremu

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not just use galvanived pipe or copper tube, from roof line to roofline, sink a couple of posts to give it support. Ground the air line on your @ the water spicet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ground it on one end, call it good? Works for me. Thanks!

-- A

13. dremu

Oh and next question... how *big* a hardline should I use for, say, a 20' or 30' run? I figger I'll just put a quick disconnect fitting on each end, so I can plug/unplug as need be... but I suppose to get good pressure I should use what, 3/8" ID tube/pipe/whatever it's called?

(What's the rule, pipe is measured in ID and tube in OD?)

-- A

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

we ran 1/2" pipe of fof ours for the work bench coil lines. and the big u for the preasure gauge and drain to hook into, then ran it to the back door of one shop in more pipe then ran the rubberline outside to an old rim with a 50' on there for tires and what not in the driveway and we have the access to unhook that for the other work bench out there.

and yes pipe is measured ID.

15. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I like the duct tape idea /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

My .02 cents worth here so take as you will but I wouldn't want a hundred and some odd pounds of air pressure possibly rupturin over the top of my head and then flip floppin all over creation. Just a thought.

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[​IMG] I'm using 3/4" galvi, you could do that at your roofline if you put up some posts and maybe a cable to hang the pipe from??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Amen! That's why I like the idea of galv. pipe and a couple of supports!

19. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

On the garage end pipe with 1/2" copper with a inlet moisture/filter and a few 1/4" quick connects.Then going between the garage and the shed use 1/2"(or 3/8") hose with quick connects so when you need air lay the hose on the ground, not in use store in the shed out of the way.

air comp.--shed-q_ _ _ _q-garage--m/f--q--q--q

So you could park the chalet in the back.

20. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Question, how much concrete do you have on the ground in your way?
    Running a 1/2" galvinized pipe overhead would require a support every 4 ft.
    A 3/4" line would still require a support every 5/6 ft.
    The smaller the line, the more support it would require.
    I don't know how cold it gets there but I wouldn't use PVC just in case. When PVC explodes, it sends dangerous schrapnal everywhere.
    If it was me, I would try to run it under ground using Kitec aluminum core tubing and insulate it to help prevent moisture. It uses really good compression fittings.
    Going under concrete isn't that hard if you use water to cut a hole under it.
    KITEC PIPING