Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air in brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, May 21, 2005.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i got a problem with air in my brakes i think. the pedal is real spongy, and goes tot he floor. i bled them a million times, and even used one of those pumps that hooks to the bleeder and pulls air thru. and i always get air bubles. i inspected the lines and connections, and i dont see anything loose or any leaks. i replaced the master cylender, and it didnt do anyhting. is there something im missing? the brakes stop the truck, but they will never lock up, and it stops really slow. thanks for any help.

2. badger red

badger red 1/2 ton status

Kyle--I'm assuming you and "bench bled" the master cylinder before installation, and are bleeding each wheel cylinder by starting at the cylinder that is the fartherst away from the M/C and finishing at the cyliner that is closest to the M/C. Even after doing this, I sometimes get a spongy pedal and have to have someone pump the brakes/hold while I crack open the tube nuts at the M/C. This will sometimes also turn off the brake failure light in the dash because it centers that piston in the proportioning/metering valve.

Hope this helps

Jeff

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

If you pump them does it get better?

4. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i did bench bleed, and i bled them fromt he master cylender first, then did farthest away to closet (i have 4 wheel disk) and wen i pump them, it gets better, but not good. thansk for the replys, im gunna go bleed em again.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Just keep trying. Do a rediculous amount of bleeding, with someone pumping them and holding down the pedal while you open the bleeder. Should help get a little more out.