Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air induction/exhaust 1990 TBI 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shawndzugas, Oct 14, 2004.

1. shawndzugas

shawndzugas Registered Member

What has worked well as far as induction mods for the 73-87 body style. My 1990 suburban is a carryover of that style. I can't find a cold air induction kit for it like my brother runs on his 2000 sierra. My options are either an open element K&N or an unshrouded Airaid copy. Exhaust--uprgrade to dual cats and flowmasters, single high flow, etc? Thanks for your thoughts, Shawn

2. Catman

Catman Registered Member

On my '90 K5 I run a K&N air filter in the stock housing, an Airaid tbi spacer and a Flowmaster II cat-back exhaust. It definetly has more power and got about 2 more mpg. This weekend I'm adding an Edelbrock cam and intake manifold. You are right in the fact no one makes a cold air induction system for this year. I tried to make an Airaid system for a 1988 pickup fit but the coolant tank and the AC tubes get in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I made a dual air intake for my '90 Sub. The intake from a 4.3 liter TBI S-10 has the snorkel on the drivers side. I cut off the snorkel and then fit/welded it onto the stock air intake so it now looks like a factory dual setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Route both hoses to the grill and you've got a poor mans cold air setup. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

an intake kit off a 1988-1995 Chevy pickup should work if you insist on an aftermarket K&N or whatever intake system. My 1995 had one, it was a really nice piece, I wouldn't have paid the $200 or whatever for it but yeah.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Exhaust, headers will go well with opening up the rest of the system.

Good gains from them, just not as "fix and forget" as the stock manifolds.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Go here:cfm-tech.com
    Get the stuff out of the box that says 40 HP for 265. That with a K&N filter will do far more than any aftermarket CAI you can buy.
    The stock CAI system is fine. It will flow more air than a Stock TBI system will ever need.
    Do not run a open element filter with TBI unless you want to loose HP.

For exhaust I recomend single 3" pipe, high flow cat, and performance muffler of your choice. Flowmaster, dynomax, ECT ECT. Headers will also help

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Using an Injector spacer is supposed to help according to thirdgen.org

I have a K&N in the stock housing, and edelbrock TES headers, you can definatly feel the difference in it now.

There is a vacumm adjustable fuel pressure regulator, I used to have the GM part number for it, but if you go to 454ss.com and search a bit, you can find it too.