Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Injection Pump Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caryhenry, Feb 25, 2003.

1. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

On my 85, I have removed the vacuum lines with the exception of egr, vacuum advance, and the lockup switch. I wanted to know if I can remove the engine belt which connects to the air injection pump. Would this free up some power and improve gas mileage, and would it hurt anything?

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

What is your M/O behind removing all of this emissions stuff? What do your state laws require? I doubt seriously if you will notice any gain in HP or mileage by removing the belt from the pump. I removed all of the BS unneeded stuff bcos I was tired of constantly chasing vacuum leaks but kept all the other stuff like the EGR and what not but all of the thermostat stuff is gone!!. Aside from that it depends on what else the belt is spinning or is it by itself. My belt runs the alt as well as the smog pump.

3. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

My M/O is improving gas mileage and simplifcation of the systems. I live in florida, and hence I have no smog laws to worry about.(the good ole south) The pump belt connects to the fan pulley and that is it. There are two other belts which connect to the fan belt: one from the crank pulley and another from the AC and alternator.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On my 85, I have removed the vacuum lines with the exception of egr, vacuum advance, and the lockup switch. I wanted to know if I can remove the engine belt which connects to the air injection pump. Would this free up some power and improve gas mileage, and would it hurt anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will not hurt performance, and you will not really notice the difference, it's minimal.
    For me I am going that route just because I have a 75 and smogged it last year so it shouldn't need the smog anymore and my smog pump froze so I either change it or remove it.
    What do you think?

Plus I can then remove all the tubes and clutter and be able to change plugs easier and work on the engine without hitting all these tubes.

5. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

you could do what I did to mine and just take it off, it will free some power but not much. It also saves a few pounds and cleans up some of the mess of crap under the hood. P.S. my 85 has no emmissions parts now, Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hell, if you don't have emissions laws go to tow /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I ripped and tore everything I legally could and it STILL wasn't enuff. I still fight the vacuum leaks now and then /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif