Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AIR injection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anjieandjohn, Nov 7, 2005.

1. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

What harm will it do for me to take the AIR pump and associated piping off my engine. Seems like it takes up a lot of little space and makes it more difficult to work. My pump is locked up and hasnt worked since I bought the truck last year so I am guessing the performance wont be hurt any.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

You can take it off, but it offers very little to no performance gains. And your now illegal. Thirdgen is very helpful in understanding those systems. You can do a search here or check over tehre for more info

www.thirdgen.org

3. anjieandjohn

dont have to worry about emissions right now. Plus, if it isnt on the truck and doesnt look like it had it, then it isnt checked in the safety inspection....I wasnt looking for any increase in performance because like I said, the AIR pump has not worked since I bought the truck last year and when it was inspected in June it wasnt checked. Thanks for the input.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it isn't working, it isn't hurting nor helping things.

Hardest part is removing the AIR manifolds from the exhaust manifolds, in many cases the fittings simply break and there isn't an easy way to get them out. If you can unthread all of them, some brass pipe plugs work good enough to seal the ports up.

Typically this sort of stuff is expensive to replace, if certain parts are in good shape, you might want to hang onto them in case you have the truck long enough to see emissions inspections come to your area and need to put it back. Even if not, if you ever sell the truck, if the potential buyer lives in an emissions inspection area, that will make selling it harder.

5. anjieandjohn

Good suggestion...I will keep the plumping in my cabinet just in case....When I retire, I plan on moving up to Wisconsin and if I should happen to move to anywhere close to Milwaukee or Kenosha, then I will have to reinstall the emissions stuff....Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and input