Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air intake and fuel temps for TBI and new product

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by mini_mull, Feb 2, 2007.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

If you could cool the air going to your TB by 50* and also cool the fuel, in theory you'd actually be sending more air & fuel through the TBI at a temp which it prefers, right. Would this also help an engine that was gasping for air because of the anemic ability of the TBI to flow air to any built SBC? Can any of you equation experts figure out how much you'd increase your new virtual CFM by lowering air intake temps?

What got me thinking about this was a new product by Design Engineering Inc., the CryO2 Air intake and fuel bar. Here's the link
    http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=1

It's way too expensive and I'm sure their claims are exagerated and our applications wouldn't benefit as much as others, but I thought it was an interesting concept, and wanted to see what you guys thought.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm no equation expert, but commonly held belief is that for every 10* intake air temp decrease, output increases 1HP.

Not QUITE what you are asking, I know. :)

Looks to me like Nitrous would be just as or more effective than the product link you showed. I just skimmed some of the material, but for the effort and cost, I'd think nitrous to be easier.

Cool fuel with TBI is a no-go. Cold fuel doesn't stay in suspension, and with a wet intake (TBI and carb) that fuel condenses on the intake ports, which hurts power. If you could keep port velocity up it would help, but that's a major limitation of non-port injected setups. You'll notice some of the designs that come up for extreme mileage all involve heating the fuel somehow, not cooling it.

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Dorian. I'm not considering buying this, just wanted to explore the concept. You brought up some good points. I'd heard the 10*=1HP, and I know colder air is better. I really doubt a contraption like this could really effect your system substantially with only a 50* change in air intake temp, but I'm no expert and that's why I brought it up. Thanks for the fuel info, too, that makes perfect sense. Not to hijack my own thread, but speaking of nitrous, I've always thought it was an offroad only deal, but is it street legal in some places?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know why nitrous wouldn't be street legal, it's how it is used most often that is illegal. :) (talking street racing here)

I saw mention of intercoolers with that link you had, they are probably talking about turbo applications. Intercoolers make a HUGE difference on turbo cars, and I suspect that if an intercooler makes a huge difference, cooling the intercooler probably helps a fair amount as well.

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You'd need to tune the prom anyway because a denser charge needs different timing to a leaner charge.
    Water injection is another way to cool charge and get more suspended oxygen , raising compression too...but lets not dig up the past eh!