Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air intake Idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Oct 29, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm probably about to do a motor swap, and I'm trying to decide what to do.. I don't really care much about AC, but I dunno If I can stand it without heat or not...

If I do decide to go that extreme, I actually thought about utilizing the hole in the fire wall to run some 4" air duct hose through (I saw some at Lowe's last night, and it got me to thinking).... then I could put an air cleaner sticking out of the glovebox.. Would this be a bad idea? I know alot of hardcore mud trucks do it to eliminate splash, But would it make it necessary to ride with my windows down all of the time?

Just a thought, but I may be too wimpy to live without heater during the winter :doah: ...............

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

bad idea, from the way i am understanding about the way you drive, if you run the air intake from the engine into the cabin of the truck, with you being on the throttle all of the time, you will suffocate, the engine will suck all the air out of the truck and you will die.[​IMG] [​IMG]

seriously though, you will get ALOT of engine noise from the ducting,,,,heck you get alot of extra noise from the intake when you run an open air element...

3. 78Suburban

well, the noise thing would be ok, but I don't know that I like the whole Idea of suffocating and dying too much.. maybe I will just try to find a good heater, non ac unit, instead of trying to be captain cajonies..
    where do you get all of those cool smilies? ;)

4. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Maybe a problem due to backfires?

Don't think you need to worry about dying from suffocation, though - it would suck your eyeballs and brains out way before you'd pass out from lack of oxygen... :haha:

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

My 'Burb hasn't had a heater for 2 years, and it gets much colder up here than in Georgia....

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

geez, what the heck happened to me then, i'm here in Arizona, and have to hook mine up every year. It gets cold here in the mornings at 50 some odd degrees :p:

for some reason i like the extra work, instead of just buying a new valve :doah:

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Have you ever heard air hiss out of your car on a hot day because the air inside expanded from the heat?

Cars aren't airtight...

No worries about suffocation or eyeball sucking!

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:thinking:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my buddy run his snorkle into the cab of his truck on his mud bogger, with teh windows shut, it would pop your ears when at WOT. he had to open then the rear window just a bit, not a problem after that.

10. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Yep, senior automotive engineers designed them that way otherwise a good digestive fart from the driver and the windows would shatter and explode, scattering glass fragments up to a radius of 50 yards. As you can imagine, very dangerous in traffic... :haha:

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A friend did that on his Dodge mud truck. But it's not a daily driver, and has no heater anyway. But at least he doesn't have the "soaked airfilter" problem anymore.

12. 78Suburban

It would make me less afraid to hit standing water with speed. I'm seriously thinking about it. does anyone have tips on mounting the hose to the carb... and to the filter inside the cab?

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If I was going to run my air intake through the cab, I think I'd buy/make a sheetmetal flange for the firewall and a matching one at the back of the cab (on a truck) or attached to the cage somehow (in a k5). Between the two I'd use a single piece of 4" exhaust tubing attached at each end to the flange with a pair of those rubbery/flexible coupler things. Then I'd wrap some sort of insulation around the tube to keep the noise down.

j