Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by freeforever, Apr 19, 2001.

1. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Where is the best place to get a air locker set up and what are the prices range? I have a 12bolt rear and danna44 front and was looking to go with some chromemoley axles and 1ton brake system....whoud this be an easy setup to do my self? or should I have the lockers put in by a profesional?
    Thanks.

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"
    ---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I'd let a pro who has set up air lockers before do it. Requires drilling the case and bearing cap. If not done right could lead to catostrophic events.

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, it is best left to an experienced installer who is familiar with ARB setups...it's got to be perfect the first time! But let me say, it is worth every penny, you will love the ARB!!!

4. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

How mutch money am I looking at spending??

---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

For the ARB about $650 per axle and another $200 for the compressor. Add labor $300 give or take a dollar or two. Total about $1150 for one axle set up (does not include ring and pinion). This is a ball park figure.

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I guess the way you have to look at it is that it will cost about $400-500 more than a regular locker by the time you are done (the $200 compressor + the ARB costs about $200 or so more than regular lockers in most cases)...everything else is pretty much constant (labor, gears, etc) ...and now you have a compressor to air up your tires and also the best front locker you can buy in my opinion!