Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air pump and headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, Dec 15, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

im getting my truck its last inspection in new york next month, and am putting a set of doug thorly headers afterwards. if i remove the air pump will my engine still run the same? i have an 85k5 with a new crate 350 that replaced the 305, i also have the sm465 4/3speed.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Since the AIR pump recirculates air from the exhaust back into the motor, it will probably run better without it.</font color=blue>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Bigray71, you're thinking of the EGR valve. That's what feeds a small amount of exhaust gas back into the intake stream under part throttle conditions. It also helps prevent pinging.

The AIR pump just sends fresh air into the exhaust stream, just as it exits the heads. Headers that are CARB approved will have the ports for the AIR system to hook up to them.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it should run the same try unpluging it and see what you think if you like it take it out if not then just plug it back in

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

5. James

James 1/2 ton status

I have a 73 that just became smog exempt. Took off all smog eqip. Air pump. Just put Thorley headers on myself. You can order them with the air injectors or without. It is def against CA law to take off any original smog equipment. I did anyways.

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Have my smog pump disabled at this time.....You might be able to tell the difference on a dyno.