Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AIR PUMP REMOVAL

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GOK5, Oct 29, 2002.

1. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

Does anyone know if you remove your airpump and tubing/hoses, if that will adversly effect anytime else besides emissions? I was wondering about computer controlled functions like air/fuel mixture and maybe timing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The vehicle in question is an 88' w/350.

2. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

I took mine off and it didn't change a thing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Re: AIR PUMP REMOVAL. what to do about AIR holes in headers?

I was wondering the same thing, because those damn hoses and pump really get in the way for just about any type of serious engine work. My question is: I have eddelbrock TES headers for my 88' K5 and there is a hole on each header where the AIR hoses go. What is a good way to plug that up?

4. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

I know what you mean. Those air hoses/tubes seem to get in the way every time i'm working on the engine. Since this is an early model computer set up, I don't think much would be affected. I have JBA shorty headers and now I can't even get the nut off to move them out of the way. That is what prompted my question on just getting rid of the entire mess. After that it should'nt be to difficult to plug headers.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The air pump helps you run clean if you have a cat. Without the cat, it doesn't do much good, except maybe make a weird popping noise from the extra oxygen burning in the exhaust pipes.

I couldn't find a fitting to plug it, because it is like a reverse flare fitting. I finally just cut the air tube about 1.5" from the manifold and threaded a bolt into the inside of the tubing.

I hope to just get headers someday, though.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Just get a short bolt of the same thread pitch and plug it, that is how it was done on mine.

7. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I'm about to take mine off too. I did it to my Z28 because the check valve was rotted out and ended up starting a fire on me. Thankfully I had a large coffee to put it out with. I just used brass plugs to fill the holes because I figured it was better to use a softer metal so I wouldnt crack the manifold.
    I thaught that the whole air pump setup was also used to aid the engine in warming up? Is this true or is it just for emissions?

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The air pump is just for emissions, it pumps air into the exhaust to add oxigen to unburned hot fuel, and also to help CO convert to CO2.
    Not to help the warm up.

9. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Looks like I have something to do on Sat.

10. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I have a cat on mine so will it hurt anything to yank out the system? Also, if I pull out the system, will the "Check Engine" light stay on? If so, does anyone know an easy way to fix this?

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No one has a later truck book that covers AIR?

Anyways, on the car systems (which are generally very similar/identical in some respects) AIR is injected into the manifolds ONLY when the engine is warming up. (open loop) Once the engine goes closed loop, AIR is diverted to the cat converter. If you have no pipe to the cat converter, then it likely diverts into the air cleaner once the engine goes closed loop.

Cars ran a pipe to the converter, but I don't recall my '83 K5 having the extra AIR pipe on the converter.

Look at the system and see if you have any electrical plugs to the AIR system under hood. If you do, unplug them. If no check engine lights come on, you are golden. Since AIR is injected into the manifolds closed loop only (again speaking from car point of view, truck manual should state how it operates) removing it has no effect on the O2 sensor.