Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AIR pump vs. smog pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by docgab, Mar 14, 2003.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Greetings all,
    I apologize for this newbie question, but is an AIR pump different from a smog pump? I recently took my smog equipment stripped '78 K5 to a smog shop and found out what is needed to pass smog and the biggie is the air injection system. I have access to a smog pump and I have seen and AIR pump in LMC and was just curious what was what. On a side note, the news from the smog shop wasn't as bad as I had feared. No cat required and no egr. A penny not spent is a penny earned. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Same thing, just one being slang.

AIR stands for Air Injection Reaction, which injects fresh air into the exhaust manifolds when the vehicle is cold, and depending on application, when the engine is warmed up, either diverts the pump output into the air cleaner, or the catalytic converter.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

They are the same thing.

On "smogged" engines there are really only two types of set-ups that are called many different things by different folks but they are all just air injection systems.

One type uses a pump to force oxygen (air) into the exhaust system and the other uses the suction from the exhaust flow to draw air in.

The pumps are called alot of different things like: Air Pump, Smog Pump, Thermactor Pump (F0RDS) and probably a few others.

I've got a '78 Suburban but, due to the GVWR of the Suburban being higher, I don't have ANY emissions equipment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like you should be able to get it taken care of without taking out a second mortgage.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks to all who have replied! Your help is much appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]

I've got a '78 Suburban but, due to the GVWR of the Suburban being higher, I don't have ANY emissions equipment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agh, you lucky devil. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you should be able to get it taken care of without taking out a second mortgage.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't seem that it will be a matter of money (Lord I hope not), but a matter of being a pain in the butt finding all the clamps and little stuff needed. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif