Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air pump...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SuperUnknown, May 31, 2001.

1. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

The belt that drives the air pump for my exhaust system needs to be replaced, but I don't want to replace it. Are there any draw backs to just leaving the belt off?

(Insert gif here)

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Usually once the AIR pump is disconnected, next time you hook it up, it will fail. Thats pretty standard. If you are going to undo the belt, may as well remove it. There is almost 0 gain from removing the AIR pump however, if it is operating correctly, and will harm you on a visual/sniffer emissions test.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

There aint no emmisions tests where I come from :)

(Insert gif here)

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I did not replace the belt on the air pump, but I left it connected to the hoses that went to the headers. The exhaust came back up those hoses and destroyed the air pump (it had a plastic top where the hoses connected to it). Luckily, I have a friend who smogs it for me now so I don't need all the parts for the visual inspection I just have to pass the sniffer test.

Anyway, if you don't replace the belt, disconnect the hoses from the pump and put bolts in them. Even then, you may have to eventually replace those hoses if they get a hole burned in them.

That's because I'm the devil.

5. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

My 85 Burb has been without the belt for about 15,000 miles now....nothin's happened yet.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer