Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 8, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

anyone know what the name of the air pump you can use that runs off your pcv valve????? then it goes to air tank then air horn????

2. NEK5

bump

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what? PCV valve + air pump? I'm confused. The PCV is there to pull vacuum from the crankcase, not pressurize it. When you say air pump, I'm kind of thinking emissions pump, but then air horn, I'm sorry I'm confused.

4. NEK5

well my buddy has this thing that hooks to pcv valve and sucks air then compresses it into tank

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Vacuum pump..

They do sell air compressors powered by vacuum for air horns..they won't allow you to hold the horn on for long without running out of air,unless you add a fairly large tank..it'll go WAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh.......

Our "roach coach" that used to bring food to us at the junkyard had air horns from a semi,but the cheesy 12V air compressors didn't last very long,nor would they blow the horns very loud..he ended up using an empty 20lb propane tank with those conversion fittings to make an air tank out of it--(you could use a store bought air tank as well)..he used to borrow the air hose at a few of the stops to "refill" his air tank..it worked pretty well actually...we eventually gave him a factory Caddilac air suspension compressor to pump the tank up when we got a later Coupe Deville as scrap
    ,and it worked great..:crazy:

6. NEK5

where can i get this pump???

also do you know what the fittings are that are used on the propane tank??? any links?

7. NEK5

well i found an old propane tank out in the yard and ordered the fitting off of ebay so lets see how that works out....now i`m just waiting to hear from FirePlug about the horn and stuff he has

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too late?...

Sorry I didn't answer sooner--I was away a few days..

You can find the conversion kits for propane to air tanks at Ocean State Job Lot stores,if you have one nearby..Northern Tool sells them,as does Harbour Freight...some hardware stores too..but you can buy an air tank all ready to go at Wal-Mart for 25 bucks or less usually!..

I'm not sure what year Caddy's had those factory air suspension compressors..I'm guessing somewhere between '86 and the mid 90's...they are bolted to the inner fenderwell ..a junkyard is the best place to get one..one of the higher end 12V air compressors might be suitable too..not the type you plug into a lighter though..not enough CFM,takes too long to fill the tank up,and they burn up fast..:crazy: