Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Jan 11, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

goofin around in the shop and found an air (smog) pump. why couldnt that be used for an onbard air. its engine and belt driven, pumps air, and i didnt see any oil. it just doesnt have a clutch so it would have to be disconnected (beltwise) or have a permanent bleed off. just bored cause the wifes asleep.

nathan

2. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

I used a VW jetta's onboard AIR pump to fill tires on the rally car and it worked pretty good. I was told that it would not work. That the pressures were going to be too low to make it work and that was true untill you give it some gas and make the little pump spin faster and build up some pressure. Then it worked like a champ. It would air up those little tires in no time flat. I used an ammo can that bolted to the rollcage that I keep a belt, coil air hose w/quick connect on one end and tire filler on the other, and the wrench to tighten the AIR pump bracket to make it run. It took longer to take off the 1 piece fiberglass hood and fenders than it did to make air. I dont know if this will work with our pumps but its worth a shot.
    Aaron

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

one of my friends hooked his smog pump up like a supercharger. he run the outlet to just infront of the throttle body. boy does it have more power /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. anyway, i don't think they pump very much pressure but they do have alot of volume.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i will just have to play with it and see what i can come up with. i might even try the turbo bit. i didnt know if it would be capable of pushing 125 psi into a tank but it ould probably do just to air up a tire.

air pump + carb = power???
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    nathan

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my friend did it on a 88 f250. he spent maybe 3 bucks. it has alot more throttle responce and noticable power. he just got bored and just tried it to see what it would do. (unemployment will do that to you) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

The same works REAL good on the old air cooled VW's that is take some of the air from the coolling fan from each side and run it into a box that sits ontop of the of the carbs..kind of like a built in supercharger! You will notice the power gain right away and it only costed bout $8 for a new set of hoses to make the change and a little carb ajust.
    Aaron

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

finally a project that is cheap fats and easy to do!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks
    nathan /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif