Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Sander/Grinder, Craftsmen vs Blue Point vs ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 29, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am looking at Air Sanders right now.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00919965000&tab=del#tab

and this one

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=all&item_ID=74335&group_ID=831&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

We had the Blue Point ones at school. These things make GREAT air grinders and sanders. My question is, does anyone have the Craftsman unit? If so, can you put a grinding disc on it? I know you can put one on the Blue Point unit, we did it all the time at school. These things weigh much less than an electric grinder and are smaller so they are easier to use for extended times and easier to manuever. I loved them and need to get one for my home usage, just wondering if I could save some money and get the Craftsman one.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

for air tools, i personally prefer IR. might want to check into what they have.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

as do I, but I'm trying to find something quick, thats why I was looking at Craftsman, Sears.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my friend has the snap on air d.a. unit great unit. craftsman sucks anymore in my opinon.

i have a hitachi 4.5" electric grinder. 8.2 amps. this thing has been threw hell and back. even droped in a bucket of water when it was pluged in. still going. i use the sand flaper wheels on it and a big 5" wire brush wheel.

got it at lowes for just under 100 bucks a few years ago. best unit i ever used.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh I have 4.5 angle grinders out the butt. Use one as much as I do and you start to feel it in your arms. The air ones are so light(about 2 lbs), they are GREAT. Makes work so much easier and allows me to work longer.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Don;t they use a lot of air though?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

large air supply, doesn't matter much. By the time the air would run out I should be taking a look at what I'm doing anyway.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That's good then. Why do you need one so quick?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

work I need to get done on the S10 ASAP. Parents are puting the house(and garage) back on the market soon. Also, read my post about Nerves being shot in the Lounge. I'd like to have it if I get that oppurtunity.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

CP makes a decent Air sander, but honestly I use the Campbell Hausfeld ones now. They run about $30 and last me at least 2 years...and mine get run 1-4 hours a day 5-6 days a week. The CP spins a little slow for my liking, only 13,000 rpm but will fit a regular grinding disc. The CH won't fit a regular grinding disc, but spins at about 18,000 rpm. The CH seems to hold it's own a bit better.

I use a 1/8" x 5" combination cutting/grinding disc on it mostly.

IMO air sanders are cheap enough to be a disposable tool. My current CH is about 2 years old, has taken a beating and is still going strong. I'll prolly replace it in the next year though...

Rene

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Look at the prices of both and ask this question.........how often are you going to use it?

Also, do you have access to a Snap-On truck every week at the moment? If not, it would be easier to warranty the Sears one if it breaks.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Rene, thanks for the educated opinion.

89GMCSub- How often? OFTEN. If I get the job I am aiming for, I will use it a couple hours a day. Sometimes the only way to get the perfect notch is by hand...

Hmm hmm hmm. Found a few of the BPs on Ebay cheap, if they keep going cheap I'll just pick one up. I loved them at school.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've found the BP ones to be a bit clunky, but pretty tough. The CH I have does really well for getting into really tight spots.

Rene

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

biggest problem I've found is the angle of the handle. Its nice for most things, but getting into tight spots it usually works against you. I would look at the CH but the use of standard grinder discs is a big plus. Burn through a disc and I just run to the local hardware store for another.

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

air tools.... INGERSOLL RAND all the way! ive got 2 matco air grinders and theyre not as nice as my IR grinder.