Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sledheadak, Nov 26, 2005.

1. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there used to be a company that made a complete air suspension for the 73-87 4x4s.does anybody know who they were and if they are still in business?
    have a idea and would like to see how they did their kit.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Don't ask me how I remember, 'just one of those things that stuck in my brain. I remember reading about it 20 years ago :eek1: in a magazine. IIRC it was called Woods Reflex system or something close to that. :waytogo:

'Have no idea if they're still around (doubt it :mad: )

3. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Air Ride technologies here in Jasper have kits that you can make your own I am sure. You can call over there and talk to them about it, they are more for the lowered look, but some guys there have made Jeep rock crawlers and used bags to lift vehicles. I suggest their ride proE compressor system. Works great and is fun to play with.

If price isn't an issue they might custom make you a setup but I believe you have to bring it here.
    www.ridetech.com

4. sledheadak

yup same one im thinking about.read it in a mag when i was in high school.
    damn that was a long time ago. :doah:

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Just curious, what would be the use in having an air suspension on a k5? it seems like they would not be that good for wheeling. :confused:

6. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Granted there is more that can go wrong, but if you have the right setup. say a 4 link with bags, and with like the air ride ridepro E control system, You can adjust the ride height, spring rate and other things at the touch of a button instantly. It would be nice, but would always have the chance of having a bag punctured or a line blowing

7. mayerichm

mayerichm Registered Member

Well, I want to add bags for highway travel. That way you can run soft leafs for flex and air up the bags for the ride home and if you pull anything.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jegs,Summit..

Jegs,Summit Racing,and J.C. Whitney sell the "Air Ride: suspension bags that go between the leafs and frame (rear at least--not sure about fronts!--be nice for a plow truck if they sold front ones.. :thinking: )..a freind just put some on his 3/4 ton 2wd for hauling a slide in camper and towing his boat.. :crazy:

9. sledheadak

the idea behind running air is so i can vary ride height.lower it for hyway driving.raise as needed for trail use and to be able to adjust for off camber areas.i have ride height valves from semis and air switches.looking for ideas on the linkages.all the air lines will be run in the frame and a rubber boot to protect the bags.