Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AIR System Removed - Engine Smokes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks-k5blazer, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ks-k5blazer

ks-k5blazer Registered Member

A friend of mine remove the AIR system from my 87 blazer. He also did the valve guide seals at the same time. Now that its finished it smokes more (way more) than before. He feels certain the seals were done correctly. The odd thing is when the engine is cold it does NOT smoke. When it warms up it smokes some at idle, a bunch from a stop, and when shut off and restarted. I wondering if there is something from the AIR system removal that could contribute to this problem? The engine has great compression and runs strong otherwise.

Any ideas????

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What color smoke ? The A.I.R system is there to introduce oxygen into the exhaust to burn off unused gas , doesn't really hurt performance , you could even offset it with new pulleys on the other accesories /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. ks-k5blazer

ks-k5blazer Registered Member

I know I was reaching a bit with my question but this problem has me ticked. We added new valve guide seals and removed the AIR stuff and now in smokes really bad. Blue smoke when leaving a stop sign or when started warm. There is even a little bit when at idle. It does not smoke when cold. I still suppect the guide seals but my friend the mechanic says they were done right.... ??????

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Usually when valve guides or seals are shot you get a huge blue cloud of oil smoke upon the first start after sitting overnight,then only a little at each startup thereafter,and while coasting down a hill,especially if you downshift.
    Have you checked the PCV valve,and are you sure it gets good vacuum??.Also make sure if its an automatic that the vacuum modulator didnt blow the diaphram--that will let the engine suck tranny fluid through the vacuum hose and burn it in the motor--the smoke is usually lighter blue or whitish,compared to motor oil smoke.I have seen good engines start smoking when the valve covers were exchanged for some chrome hot rod ones that didnt have a baffle in the PVC hole,or they didnt have a breather hole to let fresh air in the crankcase,that will make the motor try to pull air past the rings,taking the oil with it.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The A.I.R. system should have nothing to do with smoke. It has to be oil. Actually, it's kind of strange that you have smoke right after the valve guide seals were worked on and you blame something else first. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Check your vacuum lines that were used for the A.I.R. and make sure you don't have any hanging loose (I'm not sure how that was set up on TBI engines).

You don't have a vacuum modulator on your tranny, so there's no way the smoke is from burning tranny fluid. (unless you swapped our your 700 for a TH350)