Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Tanks In Passenger Compartment...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Jul 1, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm pretty sure there is an old thread on this but I can't find it for the life of me. I want to mount two small tanks on the side panels where the back seat would normally sit. I'm planning on running a compressor line to one of them, an open line between them to equallize the pressure, and safety pop-off's on both of them. Is this safely doable? If I'm being a moron just say so. Has anyone ever had a safety pop-off not open? I would figure that by running two of them you're protecting yourself, but **** happens...here's where I want to mount them:

BTW...no, my camera isn't messed, that tool box is actually cut in half.

Picture.jpg

2. mikey_d05

TTT...I need a good flaming

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I don't see why I wouldn't work, I actually mounted mine under my burb, tucked up nice and tight to the floor.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't see why not. As long as you use an air tank they always split before they explode anyway.

Why not mount them underneath? There is quite a bit of room underneath to mount air tanks.

5. mikey_d05

I don't know if you're being sarcastic about the splitting thing. But even if that's 100% true, you could probably sustain major hearing damage from the blow.

I'm just exploring other options for tank mounting. The place I'm looking at would be out of the way but accessible. In all honesty I'm probably gonna end up going under the truck because I don't like waiting for tanks to refill so I'm probably gonna go with a larger one.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you happen to have your ear real close to it then it might be a problem. The ones I've had rupture do it around 200psi it sounds like a ping/tear and a rush of air. Nothing spectacular but it's not something you're going to sleep through either. The beadblaster I made for my quad is actually louder.

I always thought it'd break into pieces of shrapnel like a PVC pipe... but the two I've had break just split.

There are lots of places to mount underneath.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Back when I dirt track raced, I made a rear bumper/air tank. Found a chunk of seamless 8" steampipe and had ends and fittings welded on by a GOOD welder. It would hold 300psi no problem. More than enough to air up a tire or two.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

This is no big deal. An air tank will indeed just get a little split rather than explode. And the hissing air may last a few seconds. It is perfectly safe. At work I spend hours at a time next to a 1,000lb sandblaster with 125psi in it with no worries. I'd be more worried if my vehicle had a tank full of very volitile liquid that could explode with the smallest spark in the filler neck :D