Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air tools...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 5, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, what are some good QUALITY brands of air tools... I have convinced my mom that we need an air compressor so we are getting one soon. First I wanted one of those floor mounted 60 Gallon thanks or whatever. But I want something portable since I don't have a garage to work in. So we are getting a bit smaller of one. I'll see if I can find a pic of it on the internet. It's a beauty /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif.. but what are some good brands of air tools... I will be getting a impact gun, a spray gun, maybe air chisel and maybe air grinder when I save up enough /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Thanks

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My personal favorite is Ingersoll-Rand.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i bought craftsman with the 2 year warranty, so i just throw them around and if they break i get a new one, if not its worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

home depot is offering lifetime on their husky line... I bought a couple and they seem to work fine...small... relatively powerful and so far trouble free
    for the industrial stuff I have a 3/4 and 1 inch ingersoll-rand as well...but its really spendy

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[Somewhat of a hijack]

Is there really a huge difference in air-tool quality as far as performance goes? I've got a 5 hp Husky compressor with a 30 gallon tank. It makes good pressure, and I usually have the line pressure between 90 and 100 psi. My problem is with my impact gun. IT SUCKS. It's the $99 30 piece Coleman air-tool set. The impact gun has NO TORQUE whatsoever. It wouldn't even unbolt the axle-to-hub bolts on my 14 bolt. It's so weak I don't even trust it to do my lug nuts.
    So, would buying a better gun fix this problem? Like and IR Thunder Gun? Or, is the compressor the problem?

[/Somewhat of a hijack]

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

the guns have torque ratings, i believe mine is upwards of 650 Lbs of tq in reverse and 450 in forward, i've gotten every bolt off that i've tried to with it. So i would recomend maybe borrowing a friends and trying it or go buy one, and return it if it dont work right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Has anyone used Cambell Hausfeld? (sp? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Campbell Hausfeld = Husky (really, the other way around)

Husky is Campbell Hausfeld made for Home Depot.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Campbell Hausfeld = Husky (really, the other way around)

Husky is Campbell Hausfeld made for Home Depot.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif are they any good then /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think they are a very good tool for the price, still not an ingersol-rand

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So you recommend ingersol-rand over campbell hausfeld (husky) ? Thakns for all the replies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've personally got a Campbell impact. it does ok, like was said before, good tool for the money. if you want an awesome impact, get an IR 3125TI(?) impact, also known as their "Titanium Series" 1/2" impact. WOW, now THAT is power! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

All my air tools are craftsman. I have an impact that is almost brand new. It replaced a 30 or 40 year old Rockwell that worked fairly well but was not up to the jobs I needed it for anymore. My Craftsman air chisel is the same age as the Rockwell and still packs one hellof a punch. I'm gonna be getting an orbital sander and, cut off wheel and maybe a few others here prety soon but i'll probably go with Ingersol Rand at Harbor Freight just for the price.

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea i would recomend ingersol-rand if you have the funds. last time i priced IR, the 1/2" impact was $180 vs $30 for the campbell-hausefeld

15. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

I've got a 15 year old 4 gallon Emglo air compressor. I've used it for everything and everywhere.
    100% duty cycle and it's still going strong!

Could use a bigger tank and more CFM at 90psi. (4.1 @ 90)
    -T

16. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

IR is no doubt the best. I have an IR 5HP 175 psi 60 gal. compressor, that pushes out over 15cfm at 90psi.

But I don't have one single IR air tool. Majority of mine are Craftsman, since when I was buying them, I had an old craftsman A/C and really didn't know that IR was the bomb. I have tons of airtools too, and haven't bought a new one in years. I will say, that the craftsman air tools I own has been through some serious abuse and then some and is still working perfect. Just put a drop of oil before and after and you're good to go.

The Impact wrench I own has 650 ft.tq in reverse and has never got hung up...
    Boss

17. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

My air hammer, 1/2 impact,3/8 impact,3/8 air rachet, right angle die grider, and drill are all Mac Tools, and I have a Snap-On straight die grinder, I love my Mac air tools wouldn't trade them for anything.

I've also used Ingersoll Rand and Chicago Pneumatic and they were good too.

Campbell Hausfield sucks in my opinion.

Never used Craftsman, but they look ok.

Devilbiss makes nice paintguns.

18. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am old enough to remember when Chicago Pneumatic was the best, until a Japanese company bought them, in the early 80's, then that was the end for CP.

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I like Ingersoll Rand and Chicago Pneumatic. My personal choice for first air tool to buy would be the IR 244 impact. BTW most of Craftman's air tool look alot like IR's, lots of people claim they are the same. I have no idea if its true. I do know I've had better luck finding places to get IR stuff repaired & serviced.

20. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

The IR and the craftsman that i have, have the EXACT same specs, and look IDENTICAL... take it as you will.

but they are carbon copies of each other